PDA

View Full Version : y/z homing error 148

STEAM
07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Hello everyone. I haven't been around for quite some time. Since last November I have been in and out of the hospital with a lot of rest at home.
Over the last couple of months I have tried to do a carving to no avail. First the board sensor went bad, replaced that and immediately got the close cover error. I finally felt up to fixing that two days ago. Today I go down to try again. This time I get the slipping y belt error followed by an error that said y/z homing error 148. I didn't panic I came to the forum to look for answers. I read about tightening the y tension bolt. sounded easy enough. I know some of you have talked about the extra clicks before the homing plate comes out. My machine has done that since day one. I thought it was just part of normal operation. When I tried to tighten the tension bolt, all it would so was turn. It would not tighten. I backed it completely out and found the threads were stripped close to the top. So once again I have to wait. I ordered a new bolt, y plate and belt. I really like what this machine can do. I just wish I didn't have to keep shelling out money to try to get it too work. This is quickly becoming a money pit and I cant afford to spend any more.
I hope this is my last problem.

lynnfrwd
07-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Welcome back! If that thing has been stored, make sure you do all of your preventive maintenance before you get started again.

STEAM
07-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Welcome back! If that thing has been stored, make sure you do all of your preventive maintenance before you get started again.
Thanks Lynn
I keep it in my basement which is heated and air conditioned. I did a good cleaning last December and again this week. It may just be that the y belt has picked up some slack over time. At least I know how to fix it now. The information that everyone shares on this forum is invaluable. I have a lot of plans for this machine and I wont let a few bumps in the road stop me. While I am waiting on my parts I am going to take the entire cover off and make sure everything is good , clean and lubricated.

STEAM
07-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I have ordered the parts to fix my problem but I wanted to give it a shot on my own. I found a machine screw that matched the threads and size of the y tension bold. I cut it down to the same length and installed it in place of the old one. It worked like a charm. Now when the truck goes to the right there is no clicking at all. While I had it apart I removed both sides and the top cover for a really good clean and lube. I can honestly say that it now works better than it did when I first got it, After having the CW apart, it dosent really look that complicated and I am confident that if any other problems come along, I can fix them.
Now back to carving.

DumbDawg
07-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Just a thought... Instead of replacing that small phillips head bolt for tightening the Y belt with another one, why not replace it with an allen head bolt?? I find any bolt with slot, pillips etc to be soft and not last very long... plus getting a screw driver in where you need it can sometimes be a pain... But an allen wrench can get in near anywhere and get got tension on the screw/bolt... and they are not as soft and stripable as the screws are... just my 2 cents worth...

STEAM
07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Thats not a bad idea. I agree about the hex heads being stronger. My replacement parts should be here Thursday. I'm going to replace my screw then, If it doesn't perform qs well as my CW is now, I'll use your idea.
Thanks for the input.