PDA

View Full Version : Workaround board measurement

jwblazek
07-13-2010, 04:56 PM
I need to carve a feature on one end of numerous long boards. Is there a way to have the CM not measure each board, as this would take a long time plus

AskBud
07-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I need to carve a feature on one end of numerous long boards. Is there a way to have the CM not measure each board, as this would take a long time plusAs each board is a project of its own, each board will be measured to some degree.
You could, however, shorten the process somewhat by how you lay out your design and by using boards of the exact width of the design.
By having your carve on the RIGHT of your Design, you would only need the design length to be long enough to accommodate the carve, and the distance you wish it to be from the actual end of your board (and the minimum Length required by designer).
As the machine measures, it should give you the option as to placement (due to the longer board being placed in the machine).
Select "Place on End", and this should get you exactly where you wish (I think you will find that the unit will not measure the entire length each time).
That may be as easy as we may make the process.
AskBud

jwblazek
07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks Bud. I'll give this a try this weekend. I have a 2' x ~ 4" carving on some decorative fence posts ( 4 x 4's) Hope it works !

TIMCOSBY
07-14-2010, 01:21 AM
you could fool the board sensor with black paper or tape but i think its still going to look for the roller to uncompress when it looks for the end of the board. i dont see a way to keep it from measuring the entire board but that would be handy.

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Bud has it best... use place on end and make the board 4 feet long or however long the art is... It will only move the wood just past the art. I do it all the time.... Use a long board for short projects and place on end and cut the scrap from the carving and shove it back in..... with a 4 inch waste board taped to the tip to stay under the rolllers...

AL