PDA

View Full Version : Noise reduction

jkbogi
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I got tired of listening to the noise in my shop with the CW running. I made a cover from 1X2's with 1/4" luan plywood. I lined the box with sound board (http://www.templeinland.com/BuildingProducts/Fiberboard/SoundChoice/scinstall.asp). This reduced the noise from the CW enough that I can talk on the phone standind next to the machine. I also built a downdraft box under the CW that I am not impressed with. Here are some pix. The back 3 sides are hinged together. The front and top are secured with velcro so the unit can be removed for larger projects.

gwhiz
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the post---I'm collecting ideas to build a cabinet for my CW. I'd generate a lot more work from my basement shop if I wasn't concerned about bothering people with the noise...

CarverJerry
07-13-2010, 06:06 AM
Guess I lucked out when I found my house. In the basement was an old fruit cellar under the front porch. It's about 6'X6' and has a door. My CW is on a table with wheels. Both my machines (CW and Vacuum) fit nicely in this room and I can work in my shop with out all that screaming of the CW. It's almost totally sound proof but I can still hear enough to notice if something isn't cutting right.

CJ

TIMCOSBY
07-14-2010, 01:44 AM
put some slots in each end with a removeable cover and you would nt have to take it out. the covers could be stuck on with velcro and moved up to suit the thickness of your board. someone also showed what looked like carpet hanging down to cover to opening that the board could push out of the way easily.

bjbethke
07-14-2010, 02:50 AM
I got tired of listening to the noise in my shop with the CW running. I made a cover from 1X2's with 1/4" luan plywood. I lined the box with sound board (http://www.templeinland.com/BuildingProducts/Fiberboard/SoundChoice/scinstall.asp). This reduced the noise from the CW enough that I can talk on the phone standind next to the machine. {{{I also built a downdraft box under the CW that I am not impressed with}}}. Here are some pix. The back 3 sides are hinged together. The front and top are secured with velcro so the unit can be removed for larger projects.

Looks like you have a Shop Vacuum with a 2 inch hose, which will not work. You need a DC with at least a 4 inch hose. That draws about 1000 CFM.

I have my DC installed in the stand, 4 inch hose removes dust through the wall outlet.

unitedcases
07-15-2010, 06:41 PM
That is a excellent idea and thanks for sharing. I think you did what so many of us have thought about doing but never took the time to think it out. I am going to try the same thing but I am going to make adjustable "slots" in the ends for larger projects. Was the soundproofing very expensive?

unitedcases
07-15-2010, 06:45 PM
What exactly and how did you order from the soundproofing place? It has a few different options but none to order direct online.

jkbogi
07-17-2010, 10:19 AM
The soundproofing was purchased at Home Depot for less than $10 for a 4'x8' sheet