PDA

View Full Version : Wine Bottle Stoppers

cestout
07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
A friend is into pen turning. He has now branched out into wine bottle stoppers – little round things – boooorrring. I thought, “I can do that much more interestingly”. I had some scraps of poplar left over from the Spring Wreath, so here is what I did. I can only include the .mpc file for one of the three because one of the others is purchaced and the other is a free down-load. But with the shell, you can see how I did it. Glue the two sides together then clean them up. The hole is just a guide, I held them with a clamp and used a 25/64 bit to drill the proper hole for the stopper kit. My friend gave me 3. they come in 10 packs for from $8 to 11$ depending where you get them.
Clint

easybuilt
07-13-2010, 12:54 AM
A friend is into pen turning. He has now branched out into wine bottle stoppers – little round things – boooorrring. I thought, “I can do that much more interestingly”. I had some scraps of poplar left over from the Spring Wreath, so here is what I did. I can only include the .mpc file for one of the three because one of the others is purchaced and the other is a free down-load. But with the shell, you can see how I did it. Glue the two sides together then clean them up. The hole is just a guide, I held them with a clamp and used a 25/64 bit to drill the proper hole for the stopper kit. My friend gave me 3. they come in 10 packs for from $8 to 11$ depending where you get them.
Clint

That's a great idea and can be used with a lot of patterns! Thanks for sharing.

CarverJerry
07-13-2010, 05:59 AM
That is really a good idea.

waltmere
07-13-2010, 08:23 AM
They look really nice. Great idea.

mtylerfl
07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Clint, what a great idea! Fun and creative!

Icutone2
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Clint thanks for sharing! Thay will make great gifts.
Lee

HelpBot3000
07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey, I like that! That opens up tons of possibilities. Plus, it gives you an excuse to buy a nice bottle of wine to put it in. :)

spalted
07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
............... Plus, it gives you an excuse to buy a nice bottle of wine to put it in. :)

and beer bottle stoppers and brandy bottle stoppers and vodka bottle stoppers and.................... would ya look at look at that, a whole list of excuses!.....lol

Clint,
Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

eelamb
07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Cestout, nice work on the bottle stoppers. I have made many on the lathe, but nothing carved.

henry1
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Clint
would it be possible to to share the other stoppers you have in the pic thank you in advance

Kenm810
07-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Silicone Bottle Stoppers,

I checked around and found that I can order or pick them up a our local Rockler Woodworking Store

Kenm810
07-18-2010, 01:14 PM
By Request; --- A couple of Ideas

Here's a few rough pictures of 2 sided carved Wine Bottle Stoppers
It may not be Necessary, But I like to add a short cylinder at the bottom,
that will be drilled out for the Silicone Stopper. I also included a mpc using the Winds ptn,
that comes with CW Designer for you to Play with, or reverse engineer

TerryT
07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Silicone Bottle Stoppers,

I checked around and found that I can order or pick them up a our local Rockler Woodworking Store

I bought mine at WoodCraft. Pack of 10 for $8 or $9.

eelamb
07-18-2010, 02:41 PM
For bottle stopper I get mine at http://www.woodturningz.com/Wine_Bottle_Stopper_Kits.aspx?gclid=CIfFjcnp9aICFQ c55wod4nCRmA or http://www.pennstateind.com/store/BS1.html
Then for pen supplies I get them at http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/index.html. I find these places offer a greater variety of products, where rockler and the others have a slim selection.

Capt Bruce
07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Novel ideas. Thanks All for building the thread and supplier references.

henry1
07-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Here is another Ideal about wine stoppers