PDA

View Full Version : Z axis error 313

Creekwood
07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
I am just getting the CW back up from a z truck replacement ( over heated bearings too much moley)
So I am thinking that the truck rails bearings are to tight?

What do you guys think

Kenm810
07-11-2010, 05:56 PM
With the power off for at least 2 minute, try to move the "Z" Truck up and down a few times,
to see it one or more of the bearings is locked up or dragging. They should all roll quite smoothly.
You can also do a quick Forum search to find posts like theses

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2010, 07:15 PM
The right side bearings are like a cam.... They can never be too tight but they can be slightly out of position and a FLAT Rim of the bearing can be hitting the rail rather than the U part of the bearing. I have had that... You need to move the head up and down as you tighten the bearings.

Also check for the belt binding.....

Also watch as the screws holding the belt at the back of the new refurbished truck can be loose.... Had that too.... Belt slipping.

AL

Creekwood
07-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Should of been more specific on the issues.
It has a Rock Chuck which I do not think this is not the issue.
I tried to re-adjusting the truck brearing. No success.
Felt the Z axis belt seemed to be tight, maybe to tight?
What happens is the truck goed to the right side of the CW goes down three times then comes up with error 313
Any other thoughts?

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2010, 07:21 PM
When you watch the head go over to the bit plate is the bit far enough over that it can actually touch the bit plate.... Normal bit touch is 2 times.... 3 times if it gets a bad reading and that is a warning... If the Wires of the Right Cover Switch going to the Cut Motor are out of position in the back, then the Z Truck Cooling Fins hit the wires preventing the head from reaching the bit plate. Then 3 touch tries and fault......

Watch the bit plate touch.... Everyone Get in the Habit of watching the Bit touch 100% of the time.... It is a indicator of machine health.

Let us know what you find... Bet is is the wires from removing the top cover.... Been there done that...

AL

Creekwood
07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
You know regardless of the end solution, I must thank you for the quick responses. I will go back over and check this out.
I wish that instead of having to go thru all the set up each time, you know board length, width, etc. That CW had a test mode

mtylerfl
07-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Should of been more specific on the issues.
It has a Rock Chuck which I do not think this is not the issue.
I tried to re-adjusting the truck brearing. No success.
Felt the Z axis belt seemed to be tight, maybe to tight?
What happens is the truck goed to the right side of the CW goes down three times then comes up with error 313
Any other thoughts?

I've had a quite a few calls in the past regarding z-axis errors and the Rock. It's usually right after folks have switched from the QC to the Rock, and haven't gotten "used" to it yet. Apparently, the Rock adds a little more overall length to the z-truck assembly than what the machine expects (I've been told) and/or if the bit is not properly mounted (particularly the 1/8" cutting bit) it can slip out a little which can cause z-errors. Not saying this is YOUR problem, but if it is, it is easily corrected. I think all you need to do is snug up the bit into the Rock a little farther and make sure it is properly mounted - that has taken care of the problem according to Rock users I have spoken with before. Ron Justice (maker of the Rock) can help you with bit mounting questions, if you have any.

Al made some good suggestions on other things to check for your z-axis error problems too, and the cause might not have anything to do with the use of the Rock chuck at all! The point is - don't leave any stone unturned - check everything...the chuck, the bit mounting, the bearings, adjustments, belts, obstructions, etc. It's likely something very simple to correct!

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I think the 3 touches is the key.... I could be as simple as the 3 touches with loose screws in the back of the new Carve Tite... The screws holding the belt.... 3 different readings and actually touching the bit plate would in theory give you a Z Error. Missing the bit plate would give you a load bit.....

My Money is that is the 2 loose screws holding the Z Belt are the problem.... I have mounted a refurbished Z truck and got the same error and found a loose belt last summer....

Something for LHR to follow up on.... Check Carve Tite's for loose belt screws....

AL

Creekwood
07-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Yea, I think you are right about the Rock Chuck not being mounted correctly , so I am trying to break it loose from the shaft. There is about a 1/4 -1/2 inch thread exposed above the the Chuck. I think I will take it off clean off the thread lock and start over, it can't hurt?

Creekwood
07-11-2010, 09:06 PM
It may be a couple days though, have to go back to work.

PCW
07-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Yea, I think you are right about the Rock Chuck not being mounted correctly , so I am trying to break it loose from the shaft. There is about a 1/4 -1/2 inch thread exposed above the the Chuck. I think I will take it off clean off the thread lock and start over, it can't hurt?

Should only have a couple treads showing above the chuck.

1/2 version of the Rock Chuck

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Just a few thoughts....

What version of Designer are you using?

What Bit was failing? Was it the 1/16 Carving Bit or the 1/8 inch Cutting Bit?

Any chance the latest version of Designer is setup for the Carve tite and the bit length you get with a pressed on sleeve? Hence... Could a 1/8 inch Cutting Bit extending too long using a Rock fault out the Z until the bit is shortened? No conspiracy theory here.... no grassy knoll.... Just machine protection.... If a 1/8 inch bit is TOO LONG it could damage the machine.... Just thinking out loud.....

AL

Creekwood
07-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Yee-haa it is up and running!
When I ordered the new Z truck it came with the original CW chuck. When I took it off it left a lot of lock tight on the threads.
So when putting the rock on it was least 1/2 inch off. After taking the rock chuck off the spindle I cleaned the threads and ala its working!!!

Ok so one thing CW could do, is send the Z truck and chuck separate, for that matter maybe the Z truck could be cheaper without the chuck.
Thank you for all for the help.
It was the picture of the Rock Chuck that did it.