PDA

View Full Version : DXF importer

stanv77
07-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I may have gotting in over my head. I just bought the DXFimporter and I am having trouble getting started. I am not computer smart. I am not under standing how to make a project and import it to DXF importer It may take a little research and help from the forum. I would appreciate some help greatly.

mtylerfl
07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I may have gotting in over my head. I just bought the DXFimporter and I am having trouble getting started. I am not computer smart. I am not under standing how to make a project and import it to DXF importer It may take a little research and help from the forum. I would appreciate some help greatly.

Hi Stan,

Sorry no one responded as fast as normal!

The way I use the DXF Importer is this...I draw my outline drawings/layouts in CorelDRAW, then I export the line drawing as a DXF file. Then I start the Designer software and import the DXF, add a board, and click finish. Once that's done, the outlines appear on the virtual board in Designer. You can also search for DXF files on the internet and download them to use - just make sure they are 2D (not 3D) DXF's.

At that point, all you have are just the lines, but you can do whatever you want to with them...closed outline shapes can be made into a carve regions, apply a surface texture or dome, or use the Cut Path Tool to cut out your shapes (like for making silhouette Christmas ornaments and such).

Open outlines (i.e., plain lines - not closed shapes) can be assigned a V-bit for a decorative carve and/or you can assign a Depth Profile as shown in the Tutorial videos: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/dxftutors.htm

Hope that helps!

stanv77
07-14-2010, 10:44 AM
thanks for reply mike. I was beginning to think that no one had read my cry for help. I will play with this when i have some time. I am in the middle of a bath room remodel. Thanks again