PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new/broken Rock Chuck!

Roadrigger
07-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey all.. I broke down and purchased the new Rock Chuck from RJustice... and I started installation as soon as I recieved it! (I have been without a machine for almost a month) As I went to torque the square bit adaptor tool It broke off inside my flex shaft hole. Now I cant get the broken part out? Does anyone know if I can tap it from the top and have it come out the bottom? I decided not to get the carvetight with the Z truck, but now Im afraid I have to get it since the tool piece is stuck! Now Im looking at spending twice what I had wanted to spend.. HELP! Please see the pics!

pine acres woodshop
07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
If I am not mistaken you can tap it from the bottom up. I wouldn't try tapping it down. Were you trying to remove the quick chuck when it broke? You have to make sure you heat the quick chuck up enough for the loctite to release.

PCW
07-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Just push the broken part out with a punch or something similar from the bottom of the chuck. Spindle is wide opened.

AskBud
07-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey all.. I broke down and purchased the new Rock Chuck from RJustice... and I started installation as soon as I recieved it! (I have been without a machine for almost a month) As I went to torque the square bit adaptor tool It broke off inside my flex shaft hole. Now I cant get the broken part out? Does anyone know if I can tap it from the top and have it come out the bottom? I decided not to get the carvetight with the Z truck, but now Im afraid I have to get it since the tool piece is stuck! Now Im looking at spending twice what I had wanted to spend.. HELP! Please see the pics!
It is correct, "the broken piece may be tapped out by inserting a large nail/spike from the bottom-up".

Watch this video on the CarveTight replacement.
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/carvetightvideo.htm
You may find it much easier to remove the truck in order to work on the QC Chuck.
If you need to heat the QC, this will give you more latitude.
AskBud

LeatherMan
07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi Roaddigger,

Know how you feel!!!! I did the same thing. I hoped I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have too much LockTite on the spindle threads. WRONG!!!... I didn't like the ideas of an open flame or electric heat guns. Fortunately I had an electric, pencil type wood engraver. You know... the $14.00 special from WalMart. I just raised the head to the top and stuck the engraver up unto the QC. It took about 20 minutes but the QC spun right off. No excessive heat from flames or the QC outer meltdown from a heat gun. The top hat was barley warm but the metal of the QC sizzled to the touch!

Ron sent me new removal bits ASAP. I still just couldn't wait so I took a bit from one of those old cheap manual impact drivers and ground it down to fit with a Dremel cut-off disk. By the time I was done cutting and grinding the hardened bit steel, the Dremel cut-off disk was junk. But hey, can't wait.... improvise!

My answer to your question is like the other Guy's... "poke it out from underneath"....

Dan'L

want2b
07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
If you are trying to remove the original QC I would think you wou want to try and tap it out from the top. If there is even the slightest taper
on the broken off bit you might damage the bearings in the truck. Whatever caused the bit to break, you didn't drive it up so the chances are it should come back out the easiest from the same direction. Just an opinion, good luck.
Rick H.