PDA

View Full Version : Missing in Action: Trim tool

Jeff_Birt
12-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I just updated to Designer 1.115 (after getting my machine tonight and doing the initial install). The trim dool seems to be missing. Even when I add it to another toolbar it does not show up. Anybody else notice this?

Dan-Woodman
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I never could get the trim tool to do anything anyway. What's it for?

Jeff_Birt
12-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I would assume the trim tool would trim one line segment back to the intersection of another. I have also noticed that there are quite a few other tools (parallel lines, tangents etc) that show up as available when you customize a toolbar but they door do not show up when selected.

:?: I hope we hear something the first of the week from CW on this. :?:

After my first day of playing with the machine I am really happy and looking forward to making more chips tomorrow,

carvewright
12-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Please see this thread:
http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2374#2374

saarf
12-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I have a Sears unit and have registered & downloaded version 1.115, I also am missing the trim tool and also the rout tool. When I look to customize the drawing menu they are already selected. Went through the sample included with the documentation and these Icons appear althought are not used during that project. I followed the link list in the thread but not sure what of the answer. Any help clearing this up would be appreciated.

Jeff_Birt
12-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Basically, (as I understand it) there are going to be two diffrent versions of the Designer software in the near future. There is the 'Basic' version which is now shipping with all machines (both the CW and Craftsman branded). I more advanced version of the software with more tools will be offerd early next year (2007).

I was at first put off by not having the trim tool. After using Designer for a few weeks now it seems that there are a few circumstances where it would make thigns a bit faster but most of the time I don't create geometries in a way that it is needed. For instance you can constrain a line length and/or angle and then snap to the end of the line (even drag another line to that point, rather than drawing them overlapping and then trimming to the intersection.

It just takes a diffrent way of thinking, more like 3d modeling than 2d CAD.

saarf
12-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for the quick repy. Wondering if you are also missing the rout tool?
Fred