PDA

View Full Version : Machine modification

Jcpb321
07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
For some time I have toyed with the idea of removing the motor and mounting it above my machine, well it is done!

I wish I had an instrument to measure noise, I was so excited yesterday when I fired up a project with the LOWER noise level it prompted me to make a long distance call to another user and take my portable phone to the garage.

Previously when I did do a project my first step was to put on my earmuff noise protection and then close my garage doors when I fired up this screamin eagle, now I can leave the doors open while cutting!

I will post some photos soon as I can figure out how to resize them and provide some additional info on how this was done also if anyone is interested.

Got em! 1st pic shows how flex shaft now lost 90% of the circle it was in before from the machine to the motor!
bottom pic shows motor mounted above with the cutout to fit the motor.
pic 3 shows 3 wires that were spliced these go to the motor
last pic shows how motor is clamped to upper shelf.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
07-08-2010, 09:05 PM
You're Truly A Mad Scientious jcpb321 (lol)! ;)

Fletcher
07-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Wow, that makes a lot of sense - nice, UNIQUE, mod!

TIMCOSBY
07-08-2010, 11:53 PM
some of the motor exhaust was used to cool the bit and blow some of the shavings to the far side of the machine did you re-route it also?

Pratyeka
07-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I was thinking about doing the same thing just yesterday! Should reduce the wear on the flex cable. Do you have the original QC?
As far as the air blower cooling the bit and pushing the dust away, not an issue if you have a dust collector mounted inside.

Jcpb321
07-09-2010, 06:25 AM
I did not reroute the exhaust, my dust collector does a decent job of picking up any shavings although there is room for improvement.

I find very little dust after carving any projects so far, I do need to widen the pickup of the dc though since I think it would do a better job on the left side of the dc... keypad side.

Jcpb321
07-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Do you have the original QC?
As far as the air blower cooling the bit and pushing the dust away, not an issue if you have a dust collector mounted inside.

Yes on the original QC and yes on the dust collector. I built the dc before I made my first cut and real glad I did.

If you decide to do this you will no longer have the scream from the flex cable, the vibration of the cover and it will definitely reduce the possibility of other broken parts, solder connections etc.., I think my dust collector is as loud as the machine now.

Pratyeka
07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
You really should consider switching to the Rock Chuck or the Carvetight, half of the noise and vibration comes from it. Unless you have one of those "miraculous" QC that came balanced.

Jcpb321
07-09-2010, 06:47 AM
You really should consider switching to the Rock Chuck or the Carvetight, half of the noise and vibration comes from it. Unless you have one of those "miraculous" QC that came balanced.

I have been considering making that switch and now that I have the other half of the noise taken care of it just might be a good time to do it so my neighbors can get some sleep whilst I am running the machine.

CarverJerry
07-09-2010, 09:16 AM
So I take it that the motor is just hanging in the open air? So what you are saying is by taking the motor out of the machine, making the flex shaft almost straight that the noise will pretty much be lowered to almost nothing? Still have the top of the machine on?

CJ

pmcpa
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Looks good... I kinda wondered why the motor was never a direct drive onto the chuck... I found it kinda odd when I purchased it.

spalted
07-09-2010, 11:06 AM
John,

Not to sound argumentative, but I really don't understand the advantage to remote mounting the motor. Was there really that big a sound reduction? Do you have the motor in a sound proof enclosure. I really can't tell from the photos.

As to having it be direct drive, I assume it's a weight reduction thing. The truck bearing and assemblies would need to be much more robust to support a power head.

Fletcher
07-09-2010, 12:51 PM
As to having it be direct drive, I assume it's a weight reduction thing. The truck bearing and assemblies would need to be much more robust to support a power head.

The z axis would then also need a bigger servo driving a screw drive to lift the extra weight instead of a belt drive like the current setup. This would slow the machine down and drive the cost up...

pmcpa
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
got it, makes sense now

Jcpb321
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
CJ,
The motor is mounted on top of a shelf that is above my machine.

Yes making the flex shaft almost straight makes a heck of a difference in noise, part of the noise I believe was in the moly lubed shaft resistance to the sidewall of the casing as all of you have checked how hot this casing was while you were carving.

Yes the cover is still on. Ah, the cover, next time you run your machine put your hand on the cover if there is any noise reduction or vibration guess where it is coming from.

Jcpb321
07-09-2010, 03:28 PM
John,

Not to sound argumentative, but I really don't understand the advantage to remote mounting the motor. Was there really that big a sound reduction? Do you have the motor in a sound proof enclosure. I really can't tell from the photos.

Spalted,
I don't take it as argumentive, sound was the reason but also I didn't like the idea of having the flex shaft run a complete circle to do its job, yes there really is a big sound difference. I figure the gentle arc/slope of the flex shaft mostly reduced the noise as well as wear and tear.

I have a very heavy flex shaft, about 1/2", for my shopsmith, it is nice to have mostly used with a wire brush but when it is in an arc the cable gets warm and it does make some noise. I had used the chain lub on that prior to getting my cw, I think they call it friction.

No the motor is not in any enclosure, it is above shelf and clamped down at the filter with a plastic clamp, the way I cut the shelf to fit the motor actually keeps the motor from turning.

Anyone tell me why my post are only half as wide as most others, thanks

TIMCOSBY
07-09-2010, 04:15 PM
it was just you last post thats smaller for some reason... that is strange.

now there all the same...even stranger?????

spalted
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Spalted,
I don't take it as argumentive, sound was the reason but also I didn't like the idea of having the flex shaft run a complete circle to do its job, yes there really is a big sound difference. I figure the gentle arc/slope of the flex shaft mostly reduced the noise as well as wear and tear.

I have a very heavy flex shaft, about 1/2", for my shopsmith, it is nice to have mostly used with a wire brush but when it is in an arc the cable gets warm and it does make some noise. I had used the chain lub on that prior to getting my cw, I think they call it friction.

No the motor is not in any enclosure, it is above shelf and clamped down at the filter with a plastic clamp, the way I cut the shelf to fit the motor actually keeps the motor from turning.

Anyone tell me why my post are only half as wide as most others, thanks

Thanks for the explanation.

Your posts are all the same width on my screen.

TerryT
07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Your posts are all the same width on my screen.

The same on mine also.

liquidguitars
07-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Unless you have one of those "miraculous" QC that came balanced.

Rumor has it that only a few special QC 's had the opportunity to travel to the land of the perfect Maelstrom, balance and longevity was granted only after self awareness of duty.

spalted
07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Rumor has it that only a few special QC 's had the opportunity to travel to the land of the perfect Maelstrom, balance and longevity was granted only after self awareness of duty.

LOL.............Brilliant!

Pratyeka
07-10-2010, 05:49 PM

You own me a new keyboard... make it coffeeproof. LOL

Kenm810
07-10-2010, 06:44 PM
D'oh! --- And all along I thought it was just Dumb Luck