PDA

View Full Version : Scale to size FYI

want2b
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Probably the more experienced already know but I got a surprise, fortunately not fatal. Have been having a scanning problem, after about an hour it stops with a Z axis stall message. I clean & clean but keeps happening. Decided to do a test carve to see if it failed, ran one with two carvings, an original + a mirrored image. When loaded got the board size wrong message with option to change or scale to size(off about 1 inch and I had not used masking tape). Since just a test carve anyway said ok to 'scale to size' and of it went.
Machine completed 3 hours of carving without any stall! Tried the scan again with the same results(flex shaft unhooked on all scans), Z Axis stall after about an hour. Have no idea why but not the reason for this post. When I looked at the carving just completed I found the "scale to size" had compressed only 1 of the 2 carvings. One carving was as built and the other one had been shrunk. Really surprised me, guess I've been lulled by the 'smarts' of the machine and expected both carvings to be equally scaled. Reality is, if it was that important I should change the board or recalibrate but since it was only off by 1 inch I figured 1/2 on each carving wouldn't be that much spread overall and since it was just a test. Really made a diff on the details and letters when it came off just one image.
Using 1.154
Keep carving!
Rick H

mtylerfl
07-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info, Rick. Yet another reason not to allow scaling.

I have not found scaling useful in any case and it can throw off a layout. See the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

I'm curious which of the elements you think was left at the normal size...the mirrored copy, or the original?

want2b
07-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the info, Rick. Yet another reason not to allow scaling.

I have not found scaling useful in any case and it can throw off a layout. See the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

I'm curious which of the elements you think was left at the normal size...the mirrored copy, or the original?

I'm pretty sure the original was scaled and the mirrored copy was left alone