PDA

View Full Version : another measurement problem

mistert
07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I purchased from the pattern depot a pattern titled Cover Grapes Single Switch02. A cover for an electrical outlet box with no holes. The pattern measures 4.75 wide by 5.828 high. Using those dimensions I set my board size to 12.25 by 7.0 allowing 7.0 in length to stay under rollers and inserted the cover pattern onto the board and centered both axis. When I started the machine it measured the board and said that the length was 5.281 and asked if I wanted to scale to length. Knowing that something was wrong I aborted and checked all of the length measurement problems, brass roller, o-ring etc. I put masking tape on the board edge and got the same results. I then went to the calibration mode and measured the board length and it read out 12.25 the correct measurement so all appears ok with the haardware. What am I doing wrong???

cnsranch
07-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm a little confused by your description, but -

The machine tells you how much carveable area you have on the board - it subtracts the 7". So, it's measuring correctly. Sounds like you've got the pattern set with the 5.828" height of the pattern along the board's length, so, you'd need a board 12.828" long. Rotate the pattern 90 degrees, you'll be fine.

Again, some confusion - I read that your real board is 12.25" long, by 7" wide, and I'm assuming your virtual board is either that same size, or 7" shorter. If it's the same size, you need to tell the machine "no" when it asks if you want to stay under the rollers (since you know it will, anyway). If your Designer board is 7" shorter that your real board, it doesn't matter is yo answer "yes" or "no", but "yes" is the correct answer.

mistert
07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
The 5.828 dimension is across the boards width. When I get the message "scale to length" the options are "scale" or "load new board". If I scale the carving comes out approximately 1.5" wide and 2" tall.

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
If you design the project in designer 12.5 inches long and feed the machine a 12.5 inch long board and then when it asks stay under rollers and you say YES.... It subtracts 7 inches from your Physical Board, that is why the Jungle Head Shrinker has struck your project...

Same situation and you select to NOT stay under rollers as you have already added 3.5 inches of un used wood in designer so the project centered will always stay under the rollers.... Through Design.... If you select Stay Under Rollers you need to feed the machine a board that is Physically 7 inches longer than designer to keep the Head Shrinker away....

Tips and Tricks has lots of details about this....

AL

CHRISTIAN
07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I removed the plate on the key side and double checked the rubber tube to make sure it didn't fall over before I could tighten it down. It was leaning a little so shoved it down onto the screw and put it back together. All seems to be working fine now. AskBud gave me instructions on how to make my sled and yes I do have the necessary length on both ends to stay under the rollers. I will check out the Tips and Tricks latter this evening and see if there is anything else I can do.

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Ask Bud is the MAN.... He has many correct answers to the how too stuff.... I learned how to round the corners of a rectangle to make my Tags from his videos. Lots of good stuff...

Ask Bud.... Take a Bow....

AL