PDA

View Full Version : Gunstock footprint

Dan-Woodman
12-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone
I getting ready to make a gun cabinet. What I need is a pattern of the oval shaped recess that the butt of the rifle rests in when the rifles are standing up. Also , how far apart should they be. The cabinet will hold twelve guns when I'm done. I don't own any guns or I'd measure them. Also how far up from the base should the rest be for the barrel.
Thanks for the info, later Daniel

pkunk
12-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd give 3-3 1.2" apart, go up at least 32" to account for a scope. This was the largest of 5, but maybe account for padded buttstocks for the wussie gunowners.

Dan-Woodman
12-08-2006, 05:11 PM
pkunk
Thanks so much for the info. This is going to be a 12 gun cabinet. I'd like to do this profile on the cw . Any ideas on how I could make the bottom tapered slightly to fit the frofile of the gun. I don't think the butt of a gun is square ( 90 degrees ) to the barrel is it . I tried the tapering feature on the software after carving a recess, but the taper profile only followed the outside cut. Thanks for anyone help. Later Daniel

pkunk
12-08-2006, 05:33 PM
All of mine have a slight angle. If the barrel is parallel with a wall, the but on the floor, there is about 1/4" space at the bottom (narrow) end of the butt stock.

Dan-Woodman
12-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks so much
I think I'll put a 1/4" shim under the wide end and see if it will carve out the region at a taper.

LATER I dicided not to do this on the cw. It said it would take over 3 hrs. to carve it so I made a jig and will do it the old fastioned way with jig and pattern bit with one of them old fastioned tools called a router.

blooviper
01-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a gunstock & pistol grip patterns so I can create my carving display..does anybody have one of these or know where I could find them?

Thank you!!

Mikewiz
01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Here is a stock that I scanned with the scanning Probe. Hope it helps! Mike

Capt Bruce
01-23-2011, 07:45 AM
I'd give 3-3 1.2" apart, go up at least 32" to account for a scope. This was the largest of 5, but maybe account for padded buttstocks for the wussie gunowners.

Hi Pkunk,

Since we both started in the military at about the same time, perhaps you can appreciate this. Since my old bones are shooting with rifles and shotguns of my own choice rather than those formerly provided by my "employer" I'm now fully entitled to be a WUSSIE. More padding = less pain. Thanks for your service my Brother.

blooviper
01-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Here is a stock that I scanned with the scanning Probe. Hope it helps! Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm not at my computer right now but will downlaod this later..I appreciate it.
Kevin

blooviper
01-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Looks great!! Thanks Mike, this will work perfect. Much appreciated.

Mikewiz
01-30-2011, 06:30 PM
No problem, glad I could help. I have the other side of the stock if you need that too. I scanned it to try and make another stock for a shotgun of mine, but could never get them to line up right when carved.