PDA

View Full Version : measuring board

milestone mike
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi, I'm a rookie to this and recently purchased a new machine. I did a project the other day that went well, but today i went to load a piece of wood and when it was measuring the length, I selected to keep under rollers but the wood ran right out from under. I put tape underneath but made no difference. The message reads" tracking sensor fault error 320". Any suggestions?

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like some pilot errors.... board too short... board too thin..... 7 inch rule of wood....

OR a machine problem.... Stuck back roller..... Sawdust in switch.... Use Options and Senor Data to look at the electronic status of the roller switches... The computer looks for the rear roller switch to un compress then it turns on the board sensor. no un compress no board sensor.... Board drives right out....

Board needs to be 3/4 minimum... ( Edit.... Oooops... Not true anymore.... That was old school.... My BAD... See post below with tips on using 1/2 inch wood.... My Bad...." getting Old...:mrgreen: A 1/2 inch board will drive right out... A Carrier board is the answer to a 1/2 inch board... Then you need to know the trick to cut out the 1/2 inch board not both board and carrier and getting the fatal error.... Tips and Tricks.... Nothing you are finding as a problem or user error has not been posted about a few hundred times. We were all new once.... We all know what you are going through.... Tips and Tricks is your friend..... The HOW TOO Guide....

A good place to start is here.... WE are here to HELP.... Then there is SEARCH.... You need to use the " " on each side of any topic in the search window. I wish the new web page had that hint next to the search window...

Tips and Tricks is another great place to learn about the machine. Lots of "This is how you do it" stuff you need to know that helps prevent you from doing the pilot errors or user errors.

Welcome and Good Luck,

AL

Jeff_Birt
07-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Welcome Mike,

It sounds like you have some sawdust sticking up one of your compression roller switches. Blow out the area in front (keypad side) of each compression roller and try again. You can also use the test menu to see if each switch is working.

Also, the forums 'Search' feature can often take you right to the answers for common questions like this.

AskBud
07-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi, I'm a rookie to this and recently purchased a new machine. I did a project the other day that went well, but today i went to load a piece of wood and when it was measuring the length, I selected to keep under rollers but the wood ran right out from under. I put tape underneath but made no difference. The message reads" tracking sensor fault error 320". Any suggestions?How long is the board (If it is longer than 30 inches, you will need exter support rollers a foot or so from the machine)? Is it flat & smooth? Anything that allows the board to tip, or move sideways, will have to be adjusted for.
AskBud

mtylerfl
07-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Al mentioned the board minimum thickness must be 3/4"...not true...one small correction here..your board can be as thin as 1/2" without any problem at all....BUT, it must be a TRUE 1/2" (or greater) to avoid the machine "spitting them out".

I have found that 1/2" Oak and 1/2" Poplar wood purchased at Home Depot or Lowes is NOT a true 1/2" and they will not work as is. In that case, you must use a sled/carrier board. Happily, I have also found that the 1/2" PINE sold in our same local stores IS INDEED a true, full 1/2" and can be run just fine, as they are.

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks MT.... Getting OLD..... Thanks for the update.... I am so set in the OLD ways.... Even if they are the wrong ways.... MY BAD....

Teaching the old dogs new tricks....

AL

mtylerfl
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks MT.... Getting OLD..... Thanks for the update.... I am so set in the OLD ways.... Even if they are the wrong ways.... MY BAD....

Teaching the old dogs new tricks....

AL

Hey, I'm right there with ya! I've been noticing I don't memorize things as easily as I used to - brain gets too "full" I guess, as I get older. I keep more notes to myself than ever! (At least I'm not talking to myself - yet.)

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
LOL... Talking to myself.... What did I say.... LOL.....

And yes I make lists too..... too many CRS moments..... Can't Remember Stuff....

AL

milestone mike
07-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I believe the board was too long cuz it was 36".

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2010, 03:03 PM
You can enter a 11 foot board in Designer.... It would be very heavy.... But you can.....

36 inches is AOK....

Something else.... Masking Tape... Board Divot....

AL

cnsranch
07-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Something else.... Masking Tape...AL

Geez, AW, at least let us know when you're gonna mention it...

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Hope you guys do your part and buy masking tape.... It is always cheaper than a board foot of wood...

The Brass Roller is the weak link in the machine now.... Not sure about the new brass roller..... But it is popping up as the most posted problem lately in my book.... Cutout out of place in the X Direction.... Measurement wrong..... I would have loved to see them wire the brass roller into the sand paper belt drive..... The X Motor has a Encoder but they use the Brass Roller to get a true reading of what the board is doing as the sand paper belts can slip.....

Masking Tape is the best thing to do to help make the brass roller and the bottom of the board act like a Rack and Pinion with the soft tape.....3M Tape.... buy buy buy... BooYAaaaa.

AL