PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Size

stinggray
07-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I have ordered a CarveWright and it's on it' way.:mrgreen: I going to build a flip top cabinet to mount and store in on. If any one could let know what is a good inside dimension width for a cabinet like this. I see the width is 26 but I'm not sure that once it's assembled if anything else that might be sticking out a little more.

Thanks Craig

stinggray
07-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I talked to a nice young lady at CarveWright and she was measured it for me and it 26" on the money, crank and all. I'll give my self 2" on each side and make the ID 30".

dbfletcher
07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
With the handle, mine measures about 27.5 from keypad side to other side, and witdh is approx. 18" with outfeeds up or 31" with em down.

TerryT
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Isn't it going to be hard to read the LED panel, push buttons and crank the head up and down if it's inside a cabinet?

stinggray
07-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Isn't it going to be hard to read the LED panel, push buttons and crank the head up and down if it's inside a cabinet?

Yea but when I want a reverse pattern it's easy.:mrgreen:

Pratyeka
07-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Mine has a door to access the keypad and crank. Both board feed sides have hinges so the whole sides can be flipped up to access the machine. A cutout lets the feed rollers stick out from the box. Dust collector fits inside and the exhaust hose comes out from under the box.

gwhiz
07-09-2010, 08:24 AM
I have ordered a CarveWright and it's on it' way.:mrgreen: I going to build a flip top cabinet to mount and store in on. If any one could let know what is a good inside dimension width for a cabinet like this. I see the width is 26 but I'm not sure that once it's assembled if anything else that might be sticking out a little more.

Thanks Craig

Don't forget to allow enough height for the flexshaft to clear the cabinet. I've been toying with building a flip top cabinet to house the CW on one side and my planer on the other--you may have motivated me to get started!

chebytrk
07-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Mine has a door to access the keypad and crank. Both board feed sides have hinges so the whole sides can be flipped up to access the machine. A cutout lets the feed rollers stick out from the box. Dust collector fits inside and the exhaust hose comes out from under the box.

Sounds cool. Would like to see a pic of it if you have one handy to post.

will george
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Sir:

I have made a few 'flip top' storage cabinets in my days for my portable tools to save space in my very small shop that has many large furniture objects.

I would suggest that you wait for your CarveWright and THEN think about your cabinet. I would say the basic cabinet is the easy part... The hard part is the 'flip' by one person that is alone and nobody to call for help when the whole cabinet starts to tip over.... I know about that from experience with a DeWalt planner. The Center of Gravity/Mass is unique for everything. I have NOT made one for my CarveWright but for my other tools I found that 'Locking Casters' are very important! You never want the cabinet to move while 'tipping' that heavy tool and getting the locking latch engaged!

But then again, I still had a tool that worked with ruined covers.... I had to make the base much larger that I thought in the 'tipping directions' ...

My post is not BS.. Been there and did that....

Pratyeka
07-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Here's my version of enclosure for the CW. The main reason I built this was to get the noise down. My house is attached and the garage shares a wall with the neighbor. After replacing the QC with my modified Eliminator chuck, the noise was still a bit too much. Now it's barely noticeable inside the house, and inaudible next door.

jaroot
07-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Don't forget to allow enough height for the flexshaft to clear the cabinet. I've been toying with building a flip top cabinet to house the CW on one side and my planer on the other--you may have motivated me to get started!

The problem that I see with a "flip" type cabinet for the CW is the fact that while the CW is going through a several hour carve the other tool is inaccessible. I'm in the middle of building a tower cabinet that holds various table top tools that inter change to a mobile tool base but have left the CW on it's own base for that reason.

stinggray
07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Well I got my CW and it's mounted on a 30" wide flip top cabinet with a planer on the other side. The flip top works great and the planer counter balances the CW. It really doesn't seem to be unstable because of that. I'm still in the leaning curve with the CW but I'm putting some crap out. :-)

I'll get some soon.

cnsranch
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Been watching this thread, and until now I was a little confused about just what you meant by a "flip top".

This has been discussed before - you DO NOT want to hang the CW upside down - first, the mounts on the four corners aren't designed for that kind of weight, and second, the innards are sensitive enough as they are without putting undue, undesigned stress on them, let alone alignment issues, head pressures, etc.

That said, if you want to hang it, hang it. Let us know how that works out for you.

lynnfrwd
07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Whoa - I didn't know that was what it meant either! I thought a top flipped up and over the machine to cover it when it went "night, night".

I think cnsranch gave good advice!!! As he put it...
Let us know how that works out for you.