PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

eelamb
07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Attached are two images, the first is of a clipart image I used to made patterns shown in the second image. One pattern is an import into CW, the other is a 3d (2.5D) of the clipart image I made. Thus the question, which one do you like better?

dbfletcher
07-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I like the contoured one better. If you can still clean it up a little more to make some of the feature "pop" more.. that would be even better. Esp. in the facial region. Great job thou on both.

c6craig
07-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I like the second one just because of the extra detail it shows, nice and sharp. Both look nice though.

Craig

Smoken D
07-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Both are nice. Having to choose one it would be on the right.

cnsranch
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Eddie

One's my preference, but obviously your losing some of the detail - can you get some of that back by bringing the pattern closer to the surface (i.e., making the height, say, 999?)

Kenm810
07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Using the # 1 Photo you posted Eddie,
If it was going in one of my Grand Daughters Bedrooms
I would clean it up a little in CW Designer
and go with the one on the right, But of course that just me ---

Icutone2
07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Great job Ken! I like your style.
Lee

eromran
07-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Here is one using the pic but trying to use the roundness of the first but getting some of the outline of the second. You really have two open pattern to even see the roundness cause its very slight. Also when you open it it may need to be inverted and lower till background falls away.Sorry one more thing if you make a carve region around it in designer and make it a little deeper than pattern it is like outlining it and make it stand out.

AskBud
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Here is one using the pic but trying to use the roundness of the first but getting some of the outline of the second. You really have two open pattern to even see the roundness cause its very slight.
How did you accomplish that?
AskBud

eelamb
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Guess I should have shown you what I am working with here. This is the 3d image I made from the clipart image. Doug I do agree with you on heights. I see problems with pattern editor when using STL files, where if you make the pattern .25" it looses details, or flattens the pattern out. Anyhow I appreciate all the comments, basically want to make up my mind about true 3d, if I am wasting my time. I know there is a lot to learn, and items like the ships wheel was fun, but making a figure is not easy.

AskBud
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Guess I should have shown you what I am working with here. This is the 3d image I made from the clipart image. Doug I do agree with you on heights. I see problems with pattern editor when using STL files, where if you make the pattern .25" it looses details, or flattens the pattern out. Anyhow I appreciate all the comments, basically want to make up my mind about true 3d, if I am wasting my time. I know there is a lot to learn, and items like the ships wheel was fun, but making a figure is not easy.
OK, what program did you use? What is the cost?
AskBud

Kenm810
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
The fun and frustrating part --- is in the trying :wink:

eelamb
07-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Bud I am using silo 2.1 and 2.2 beta, cost is about $100. This model is a 2.5d, where the back is not created but has a flat surface or a better way to look at is, that is the cut line for STL importer.

Object like the ships wheel is nothing more than creating circles, spheres, lathe objects, and putting them together, whereas this one is drawing, stretching pulling, pushing vertex's, smoothing, and so on until you get the model the way you want it.

Ken yes the joy of learning a program and the frustrations that come along with it.

eelamb
07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Here is the model of the ships wheel and a box side I created, these are the easy ones to make and take about an hour or less time. Box side I have not listed yet, but looks great as a pattern.

AskBud
07-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Bud I am using silo 2.1 and 2.2 beta, cost is about $100. This model is a 2.5d, where the back is not created but has a flat surface or a better way to look at is, that is the cut line for STL importer.

Object like the ships wheel is nothing more than creating circles, spheres, lathe objects, and putting them together, whereas this one is drawing, stretching pulling, pushing vertex's, smoothing, and so on until you get the model the way you want it.

Ken yes the joy of learning a program and the frustrations that come along with it.
Is there an official site that includes demo(s), before I decide on the program?
AskBud

eelamb
07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Bud yes it is, they are going a little slow on updates right now but who isn't. As for as the software, I do like it, it has some problems in stability, so you learn to save often.
As for support, check out this site for turorials http://nevercenter.com/silo/videos/tutorials/#beg you can download the software for free 30 day trial, and download the tutorials and watch whenever you want. It is easy to use and quick to learn the keys. yet as with any 3d program read all you can as you learn, making polygons (quads) takes time. I do think in my case the figures may never come about but other modeling falls right into place. Oh here is the front page to their site. http://nevercenter.com/
I have to use meshlab for the STL format, since STL importer will not read the silo stl files. Plus if you use autocad 2000 dxf files silo will import these too.

Download it and use it for a month, then decide if you want to purchase. If you have trouble with the program I can help you in making it more stable. Works better is XP 32B, but I am using win7 64B.

TIMCOSBY
07-08-2010, 01:21 AM
have you tried taking the model into the free program "sculptris"? if it would take a silo file format you could push and pull the surface to get more defined height. i'v been playing around with it and it is a lot like zbrush only free. find it at sculptris.com

eelamb
07-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Tim, in this case it is not the softwares ability but the user ability. For now I am sticking with other designs and I will keep working with figures and maybe, just maybe I will figure out how to create nice looking figures. I am close, but need more time and experience.