PDA

View Full Version : a “clean Y rail” message ???

scamp62
07-05-2010, 01:51 PM
So what can cause a “clean Y rail” message, other then dirty Y rails ???
Been getting this message every few hours, and yes my Y rails are clean and lubed.

TerryT
07-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Check the y truck roller bearings. Make sure you don't have one seizing up. Then check the bearing in the gear case on the y motor. I have had both issues happen.

Digitalwoodshop
07-05-2010, 03:43 PM
If you have over 500 cut motor hours then I would check the 2 bearings and shaft of the Y Gear Box.... I have replaced 3 out of my 4 machines, all over 500 hours. Clicks at the bit flag too....

AL

scamp62
07-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Well the 2 bearings and shaft of the Y Gear Box look like my problem, I have lateral movement on the shaft & gear, and the shaft has ware on the back half.
How did you remove and install the bearings (place it in an oven, low temp ?)
And what size are they ? CW only sells the full motor & gear box.
As always gentlemen “Thank you for the guidance !”

scamp62
07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
No heat required, they just pop out !

Digitalwoodshop
07-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Here is a post on the topic http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15320-Y-Stall-Y-Jerky-Motion-Y-not-smooth-Fix&highlight=Bearings

To buy LOCAL use the following Cross Reference Numbers for the 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm with metal shield.

NSK Brand - 685ZZ

KOYO Brand - W685ZZ

NMB Brand - L-1150ZZ

Once the shaft is worn thin replacing the bearings will still let the shaft wobble.

If you have a old Z Motor from the Z bundle Upgrade the gear box will swap....

If the shaft is worn thin up at the plastic gear, even new bearings will cause a wobble....

Curious how many Cut Motor hours do you have? Close to 500????

This is a Wake Up call to EVERY CARVER.... ORDER SOME BEARINGS and replace them at a minimum after the first set of cut motor brushes.... 250 + hours..... Preventive Maintenance....

I believe the Y Bearings are the most stressed in the system and need attention BEFORE they fail...

AL

scamp62
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Sorry there pal, but I have no idea of how many hours are on this machine, I purchased it as a refurbished (not very well by the way, I have had to replace so many parts) but I have about 80 hrs on it, sorry I can’t be more specific.
But I do thank you for your information !!

scamp62
07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Just to finish this up, it turns out that the z-motor was full of saw dust (back cover with the encoder reader) cleaned it out, and she is cranking out the projects !!!!
I did apply some G.E. clear silicone on the edge of the cover and motor, to seal that up.
Just one more small lesion to this wonderful machine!!

unitedcases
07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I see it now, but another question, are these bearings used anywhere else on the machine?

Digitalwoodshop
07-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Y and Z Gear Box.... I don't think they are used in the X Gear Drive.....

I am going to start replacing them on the Y with every set of Cut Motor Brushes.

AL