PDA

View Full Version : Measurment & Board Tracking

Air-Cop
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
To anyone having a problem with Measurments or Board Tracking. I suggest you read Tips & Tricks Jan & Feb 2010. By reading this , I have Identified my problem. I have not yet, made the repairs, but feel, I can, without difficulty. Air-Cop

jspeedy33
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I'd love to read it, but there is no content posted yet in the new web format, and that seems to be the one issue I either didn't get or didn't save...

jspeedy33
07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm having trouble with board measurement - the machine is making some horrific sounds as the board goes through, (sounds like gear issues...) then either stops cold with a 'board tracking error' notice, or shoots the board out the front. I recently replaced the board sensor and it is functioning well. I also pulled off the side cover (not the one on the control pad side), cleaned things up, lubed everything per the manual, checked the gears to see if anything was stripped, re-aligned the corner posts, and checked the play in the shaft underneath. Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to look at next (or again...)?

cnsranch
07-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Check your head pressure, John.

jspeedy33
07-08-2010, 02:04 PM
That fixed that issue - I thought I had checked the pressure, but obviously not, because it was at about 100...duh...Thanks, Jerry!

jspeedy33
07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Okay...head pressure is okay - I have done some more digging, and it seems that while the board is measuring, the shaft gear on the X-drive motor is not engaging all the time with the Stage 1 gear - it just turns and ratchets against the edge of the Stage 1 gear, making an unGodly noise... The teeth on both gears SEEM okay...the shaft seems to have some side play and end play (not sure if that's the norm...). I cleaned both, put a dab of grease on it, and it still does the same thing... Am I going to need to replace the Stage 1 gear, the X drive motor, or both, or ??? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Okay...head pressure is okay - I have done some more digging, and it seems that while the board is measuring, the shaft gear on the X-drive motor is not engaging all the time with the Stage 1 gear - it just turns and ratchets against the edge of the Stage 1 gear, making an unGodly noise... The teeth on both gears SEEM okay...the shaft seems to have some side play and end play (not sure if that's the norm...). I cleaned both, put a dab of grease on it, and it still does the same thing... Am I going to need to replace the Stage 1 gear, the X drive motor, or both, or ??? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

How many Cut Motor Hours do you have on the machine? With 12 posts I am thinking a new machine and you should call LHR for Warranty Work.... Sounds like broken X Gears.....

If it is a used machine with high hours then it could get expensive... Still sounds like stripped X gears....

There are a bunch of posts about what can snap the X gears from a tapered board to head pressure is too hard to a rolled up Sand Paper Belt. Use the " " with the search. Plus check out Tips and Tricks...

AL

mtylerfl
07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I'd love to read it, but there is no content posted yet in the new web format, and that seems to be the one issue I either didn't get or didn't save...

All the Tips & Tricks issues are posted here:

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm

(I'm behind on the May/June issue - still waiting for some photos...then, I've got to get to the July/Aug issues!)

jspeedy33
07-10-2010, 08:41 AM
The machine is about 4 years old, and has only 18 cut hours on it - I have a feeling that I paid too little attention to the head pressure when it first started acting up and strained the gears too much. I can't afford a new machine, so I guess I'll start with the gears and motor. I appreciate the help (and thanks Michael for helping me find the Tips article - I'm still pretty new to this machine even though I've had it for awhile.)

John