PDA

View Full Version : soon 2b new owner

bw5then
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
will be buying a carvewright in the next week...Can not get everything at once.I will have about $2400.00 for my initial purchase.What would yall buy FIRST looking back.I would appreciate any input or advice.

Kenm810
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
First off Welcome to the CW Forum,

And Congrats on your new machine purchases!
Remember to save the box and all the packing materials,
and check for any loose screws. nuts, bolts, or parts
also please check to make sure the Flex-Shaft is lubed with fresh chain lube w/Molly

Be sure to read all the Tips and Tricks posts and if you can watch all the Videos offered.
at the CW Site and here on the Forum.

Router-Jim
07-02-2010, 12:31 PM
First off, welcome to the forum.

I'll start the list. LOL I would buy Centerline Text right from the start.

Jim

AskBud
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
will be buying a carvewright in the next week...Can not get everything at once.I will have about $2400.00 for my initial purchase.What would yall buy FIRST looking back.I would appreciate any input or advice.
Presuming that you are getting the "C" version, you will have the CarveTight Assembly.
1) Get a collet.
2) Get the Probe.
3) Get Centerline.
4) I would get the 60 degree V-bit (at least).
5) Warranty is up to you.

The collet will allow you to use the V-bits and others you get later. The probe allows you to copy/scan figurines and such so you may make all those special patterns. The Probe software is the Design Edit feature that will help you hone the patterns you make. Centerline and the V-bits will give you the full ability to design text as you wish.

Until you get the other "fancy" bits, you will be limited on how you apply MPC(s) that you pick up from the forum. You will need to adapt with what you have on hand.

Check out my "Download" section below, if you have not done so as yet.
AskBud

www.go3d.us
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Well, I first buy just the machine that came with the 1/16" and 1/8" bits. Depend on what you use it for, extra stuff can be added later. For me the 1/16" and 1/8" bits will do all job that I needed done.

spalted
07-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I bought the full set of bits and I regret doing so.

Start out with the 1/16 carving and the 1/8" cutting and wait to see what else you might need.

I also saved all the PDF instructions to a thumb drive and had it printed out at an office supply store. That way I could have a printed manual next to the machine in the shop.

I think adding Centerline is a good move.

Start with the basics and see how you end up using the machine.

Oh....... and welcome to the club.

jaroot
07-02-2010, 03:48 PM
We bought the machine with the probe and the bit set. We then added centerline text. If I had to do it over I'd get the machine and the centerline text and the two vee bits. The next thing I would add would be the 1/4" ball bit. Most of the rest of the bits in the set we haven't used and probably will never use, at least not in the carvewright. I use the centerline a lot and the 1/4" ball joint. We've used the probe once. It is a handy thing to have but we've had little or no need for it so I guess I'd put it off till you really have a project to use it on.

AskBud
07-02-2010, 05:13 PM
We bought the machine with the probe and the bit set. We then added centerline text. If I had to do it over I'd get the machine and the centerline text and the two vee bits. The next thing I would add would be the 1/4" ball bit. Most of the rest of the bits in the set we haven't used and probably will never use, at least not in the carvewright. I use the centerline a lot and the 1/4" ball joint. We've used the probe once. It is a handy thing to have but we've had little or no need for it so I guess I'd put it off till you really have a project to use it on.
Please remember that the Probe includes Design Editor. Without Design Editor, you will not be able to perfect any image (photo or otherwise) that you import in to your Design Library.
If you just spend $199 For design Editor, you miss the probe cost of just $100. I don't think you can buy just the probe itself from LHR, it's $299 for the package that includes the Editor.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
07-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Please remember that the Probe includes Design Editor. Without Design Editor, you will not be able to perfect any image (photo or otherwise) that you import in to your Design Library.
If you just spend $199 For design Editor, you miss the probe cost of just $100. I don't think you can buy just the probe itself from LHR, it's $299 for the package that includes the Editor.
AskBud

The Pattern Editor is $199.99 by itself.

The Probe is $299.99 and includes the Pattern Editor FREE.

WARNING: If you purchase the Pattern Editor and then later decide to purchase the probe, the probe still costs $299.99 even though you already have the Pattern Editor.

jaroot
07-02-2010, 06:34 PM
AskBud

Yeah you're right but I don't use that much either. I find it a bit frustrating and tedious. I'd just as soon clean up things in a photo editing software. In any case it is not one of the first things that I would purchase for my machine. And like I said wait until you need it and I guess if you need the pattern editor then you certainly should purchase the package.

CADRAFTDESIGN
07-03-2010, 03:01 PM
I am also looking at buy. I am looking to create signage, lithopanes and contoured custom solid guitar bodies. I have read a lot of reviews on the web slamming this prodcuct.
I first have to ask if the door open errors and internal and electronic problems, techincal support problems and mechanical problems are all as bad as the reviews, or are those a handfull of folks that have found each other and it just looks bad?
This machine will be getting used daily and I just need to know if it is up to the task.

AskBud
07-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I am also looking at buy. I am looking to create signage, lithopanes and contoured custom solid guitar bodies. I have read a lot of reviews on the web slamming this prodcuct.
I first have to ask if the door open errors and internal and electronic problems, techincal support problems and mechanical problems are all as bad as the reviews, or are those a handfull of folks that have found each other and it just looks bad?
This machine will be getting used daily and I just need to know if it is up to the task.
In my opinion, many of the "door" and electronic problems are either from vibration caused by the QC chuck, and the user, or by lack of needed cleaning of dust/dirt and/or improper loading and head pressure.

If you get the new CarveTight Assembly (new "C" machine), or rapidly change to a Rock Chuck, or other similar after market chuck you will have less trouble. A good "top mounted vacuum" will greatly reduce dust/dirt problems.

Others will probably have more insight that I have not mentioned.
AskBud

bw5then
07-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks to all of you for your insight and advice.This forum is a wealth of information and everyones comments are very appreciated.Thanks...

TIMCOSBY
07-05-2010, 01:56 AM
welcome to the forum also. if your happy with your machine your not going to go blab about it in the review section. if your pissed your going to spout about it everywhere you can. there have been problems here and there (probably caused by the "quickchuck") but as opposed to the huge number of machines out there it a drop in the bucket so to speak. mine works fine but i did have to tighten the two screws on the door sensor.

obama549
03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I also saved all the PDF instructions to a thumb drive and had it printed out at an office supply store. That way I could have a printed manual next to the machine in the shop.

TerryT
04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Thats a good plan

RanUtah
04-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Two words- Dust collection, best investment I even made for the machine.