PDA

View Full Version : Why does carve region not work for some objects?

Jeff_Birt
12-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I have noticed, that for some odd reason, some objects when drawn do not seem to be recognized as a closed region and so the 'Carve Region' tool does not work. I have attached a small file that shows this. If you look in the carving list the region named outside is OK, the 'Carve Region' tool works. The other two 'Inside_left' and 'Inside_right' dont work with the 'Carve Region' tool. I would assume that this is due to the fact that the region's border is not continious. If so, how does one find the break?

Jeff_Birt
12-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Blast it, it always happens, five minutes after you ask a question the answer occures to you. :D I copied the 'Inside_left' object over to a new blank piece and starting dragging end points around until I found where they were not connected (left side, top of 0.25" vertical line). I went back to teh original piece adn grabbed that same endpoint adn drug it around until the two endpoints connected (the =||= type symbol).

Greybeard
12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
There you go Jeff, you've posted a solution to someone else's problem who hasn't found it yet - problem or solution :D

John

DaveN
11-28-2010, 08:19 AM
4 years later, Thanks Jeff :)

AskBud
11-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I have noticed, that for some odd reason, some objects when drawn do not seem to be recognized as a closed region and so the 'Carve Region' tool does not work. I have attached a small file that shows this. If you look in the carving list the region named outside is OK, the 'Carve Region' tool works. The other two 'Inside_left' and 'Inside_right' dont work with the 'Carve Region' tool. I would assume that this is due to the fact that the region's border is not continious. If so, how does one find the break?
Since this thread has a recent post, I thought it would be good to update the solution.
Line drawings that do not quite complete a "closed' area will not accept a Carve region application. You may now go to VIEW > TOGGLE NONENDPOINTS, and the dots/points that need adjustment will be shown. Adjust those points as needed, and the figure will close, and the Carve Region will be accepted.
AskBud