PDA

View Full Version : Can't resize

c6craig
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to use the lid of a store project (Neoclassical Keepsake Box) as a base for another project. I eliminated everything on the project board except the outside trim. But no matter how I select things I can't resize it. I just want to make two of them - one about 12" x 7.5" and another one a little smaller to sit on top.

I watched AskBuds video and looked through the tips and tricks but it doesnt let me drag the corner points. Is it because it was purchased through a project from the CW store? Am I screwed?

Thanks,
Craig

c6craig
07-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I have also been trying to recreate the edging and not having any luck...can't figure out how to get that cool mitered look with the curve. If I could do that I guess I could manually add the filagrees using merge additive...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

robbrigg2
07-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Two things for you...

For the resize it might be that the elements have been constrained (attachment). You might need to remove them in order to be able to resize.

You can however recreate the effect by doing what you see... notice there are actually two elements on every side one is a rectangular shape with 45's at the corners. Then you add a left, right,.5 Top, or bottom dome to it (depending on the side you are working on) set at about .5 height of 800. You need another rectangle at about .25 wide that will act as the lip of the slop that go past the edge of the baord (these don't have to have the 45's and a carved region of .5. This will recreate the effect. I hope this helps.. if not just let me know and I can try a little harder to make this clearer.

Thanks

c6craig
07-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Two things for you...

For the resize it might be that the elements have been constrained (attachment). You might need to remove them in order to be able to resize.

You can however recreate the effect by doing what you see... notice there are actually two elements on every side one is a rectangular shape with 45's at the corners. Then you add a left, right,.5 Top, or bottom dome to it (depending on the side you are working on) set at about .5 height of 800. You need another rectangle at about .25 wide that will act as the lip of the slop that go past the edge of the baord (these don't have to have the 45's and a carved region of .5. This will recreate the effect. I hope this helps.. if not just let me know and I can try a little harder to make this clearer.

Thanks

LOL Thanks Robert, I had considered myself an intelligent man until I tried to understand this. Maybe a fresh look in the morning will clear the cobwebs. Thanks for taking the time to write out the explanation, maybe I can get something going.

Craig

bjbethke
07-02-2010, 02:59 AM
I have also been trying to recreate the edging and not having any luck...can't figure out how to get that cool mitered look with the curve. If I could do that I guess I could manually add the filagrees using merge additive...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig
You could make a pattern for the sides; I found changing the size changes the angle. Needs to be 45 degrees.

Digitalwoodshop
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Didn't look at the project but any yellow numbers are constrained locking elements. Right click on the yellow number and select "Remove Attachment" turning the number green should free up the elements. Also look at the blocks in the upper left corner for centering and locks like that.

AL

spalted
07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
The centering option has been a problem for me in the past when I try to resize or move something to. I wish it was more obvious that items were set to center because I keep forgetting.
Not so much a software problem as an operator error though I guess.

c6craig
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
OK Well I guess I was brain dead last night. Working through Robert's directions it looks like I am slowly getting it. This is actually a very helpful learning tool for me, I'm one of those guys that has to actually do it to learn it.

Thanks again guys! Hope to run a test carve tonight and will let you know how it goes. :)

Craig

robbrigg2
07-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Glad it helped Craig

c6craig
07-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Glad it helped Craig

It helped a ton Robert, thanks again. I got just what I need and learned a very cool method on top of it!!

Thanks,
Craig