PDA

View Full Version : Drag Knife Bit for Cutting Sign Vinyl with a CNC Router

Rocky
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Have any of you CW people ever used a bit like this on the CW (I assume there would be some 1/2" + backing board needed). Here's a brief description:

Drag Knife Bit for CNC routers fits in any 1/4" collet, just like a regular end mill. Instead of cutting material like a normal bit, it allows your CNC machine to cut adhesive backed sign vinyl, just like a professional sign shop. It can also be used to cut paper, cardboard, and thin plastics (up to 1/32” thickness.)

Thanks

Router-Jim
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Rocky, I can't see that thing working on the CW because it is intended to be dragged and not rotated.

dbfletcher
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Thats interesting, but I dont think there is any way to specify cut pressure. On my cutting machines, they all have adjustments for how much cutting pressure you want. Additionally, the cw seems to jump all over the place when doing vector cuts (only thing that makes sense with this type of bit), it not sure how clean the final cut would be as my cutters typically try to optimise pen/knife up/down movements.

dbfletcher
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Rocky, I can't see that thing working on the CW because it is intended to be dragged and not rotated.

Good point, but I would think you could disconnect the flex shaft much like you do when using the scanning probe.

Jeff_Birt
07-01-2010, 03:10 PM
My wife's BossKut Gazzel uses knifes like that to cut paper, vinyl, etc. One thing you have to make sure to do is keep the material in place and flat while cutting. Her machine has a sticky piece of flat plastic that you stick the material down to. (It is just sticky enough to hold the material down and let it still be removed after cutting.)

I would think there would be a problem on the CW with the touch down on the bit plate, it might damage the knife. Also, you would need to fool the machine by telling it it had 1/4" or so bit installed. The larger bit you tell it your using the slower the feed rate will be. Remember your fooling the machine so try it at your own risk.

RMarkey
07-01-2010, 03:26 PM
The biggest reason why this won't work at this time is because we can "Z stall". If this wasn't the case, the machine could just press down without really "expecting" to go to a certain depth.

Since the CW is not sensitive to how hard it has to press without stalling, it's not really feasible.

Rocky
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM

I had that same thought, but it says it is for a router; don't all routers rotate?

Router-Jim
07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I had that same thought, but it says it is for a router; don't all routers rotate?

You can command some CNC machines to just trace or basically move all over without rotating.

Digitalwoodshop
07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
That first bit plate touch will dull the knife.... You really need a fine control of the knife to not cut through the liner paper....

I have a Graphtec FC 7000-60 Vinyl Cutter. Tooooo many toys...

AL

DickB
07-02-2010, 08:34 AM
$149 for this bit? For a few bucks more, you can buy a complete machine and software like the Silhouette SD that is much more suited to the task IMHO.

Rocky
07-02-2010, 08:43 AM
$149 for this bit? For a few bucks more, you can buy a complete machine and software like the Silhouette SD that is much more suited to the task IMHO.

Good point!

Rocky
07-02-2010, 08:52 AM

DickB, do you think this SD gadget could be used to cut out vinyl letters for boat name application?

Thanks,

DickB
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Absolutely. I refurbished this Wetbike last fall, which required completely redoing the graphics. I used a Silhouette SD to make the "Wetbike" logos and the registration letters and numbers.

Rocky
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Absolutely. I refurbished this Wetbike last fall, which required completely redoing the graphics. I used a Silhouette SD to make the "Wetbike" logos and the registration letters and numbers.

Thanks. Not to be a pest, but can you tell me the type of vinyl I should get for boat letters and where is the best place to get it? I may just buy one of these SD gadgets.

DickB
07-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't know if it's the best place, but I shopped signwarehouse.com. There are different vinyl grades available, typically rated by years of durability. Get the best you can afford. You'll also need some application (transfer) tape; I think I got Endura Mask High Tack.

Rocky
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't know if it's the best place, but I shopped signwarehouse.com. There are different vinyl grades available, typically rated by years of durability. Get the best you can afford. You'll also need some application (transfer) tape; I think I got Endura Mask High Tack.

Thanks, DickB