PDA

View Full Version : Assembly - Disassembly Surface

William Blankenship
07-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Hey all,
Here is something I found I have a need for. After loosing a tiny spring, the type that takes a thousand of them to make an ounce, I searched my shop floor for half an hour before I found it. As a result of that ordeal, I drew this surface in CW Designer. It will catch all those tiny parts before they get accidentally brushed off the bench. It measures 16 X 14 and will carve using only the carve bit. My plans are to carve this and glue another board the same size, just not carved, to the bottom. That way I will have a nice heavy, thick work surface to disassemble things on.

Enjoy,
Bill....

DocWheeler
07-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Bill,

Good idea, that would work well for me for screws and nuts - a for springs, they usually are not in the area unless they bounce back somehow ;)

geekviking
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Awesome idea, thanks!

William Blankenship
07-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Glad you guys can use it. I'm glueing up some boards right now. I'm going to plane it and cave it sometime tomorrow. I think it will come in handy. The nice thing is it should be able to be carved at a lower quality setting and still be quite useful after some basic sanding.

Bill...

spalted
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
It's a great idea but......... I would just pile big junk on it so when I needed it it would already be full....lol

to make it carve faster you could use a 1/4" ball nose set on paths too,slightly different but just another idea.

William Blankenship
07-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I might have to redesign it and try it. Shave a little wear and tear of the machine by doing that. I like that idea.

Thanks!!!

Bill...

Pratyeka
07-01-2010, 07:05 PM
good idea, except that Murphie's laws clearly state that "the smaller a part is, the farther away it will land when dropped."
I find that pouring molasse or tar all over the floor does a good job of catching everything I drop.:mrgreen:

spalted
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
good idea, except that Murphie's laws clearly state that "the smaller a part is, the farther away it will land when dropped."
I find that pouring molasse or tar all over the floor does a good job of catching everything I drop.:mrgreen:

LOL....

For years I have kept a buffer layer of saw dust on the floor to try and reduce the bounce, but I think you may be onto something here. Should help with the flies and mosquitoes to I would assume?

William Blankenship
07-01-2010, 07:44 PM
LOL<grin>. Yep, that little spring hit the floor this morning and I found it 8 feet away. I'm still trying to figure out how it got over there and of course under a table that didn't have casters. Moving everyting off of it so I could move it was time consuming. Must have been some kind of magnetic anomaly that drew this little thing a third of the way across my shop. <grin>.

Bill...

earlyrider
07-02-2010, 12:02 AM
You might also consider something like a jeweler's bench; it has a curve in the top you can belly up to, and an open drawer underneath to catch errant gold, gemstones, or small springs. They may be expensive to buy, but would be an easy project to build.
Ron

CarverJerry
07-02-2010, 07:34 AM
I think thats a great idea Bill, I've spent many hours on my hands and knees looking for things I've dropped. Thanks

CJ

William Blankenship
07-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks CJ. It give us a place to lay little screws and items so they don't get brushed onto the floor.

Ron, good idea. I could make this surface the bottom of the drawer or a lift out panel.

Bill....

RayTrek
07-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Bill,

Thats cool!
Ray

William Blankenship
07-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks Ray.

Bill....