PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to carve Clear Acrylic and wants your opinion

lostinthefrost
07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Hello all,

I have had my machine for 3 years and with the help of several of you I can pull out some decent work. I wanted to play a bit with clear acrylic to make a shadow box or just to try something. I know I should order the material from the CW store, but does anyone recommend anything from a big box store for me to go purchase?
Materials wise?
What do I need to look for?
Size?
Does it all use the 1/16 bit? Or is there any bit better that others may use?
I know there is a tips and tricks on it too, but wanted to see what everyone recommends

Thanks in advance

spalted
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I assume you need to look for cast acrylic something like Acrylite GP would work I think. Anything on the order of plexi-glass is going to melt instead of cut and machine cleanly.

I have not machined any in my CW, but have with a shaper or a router. You can sand it, cut it, drill it pretty much as you can with wood.

You can flame polish cut edges with a torch after you machine the plastic, if the edges are to be exposed. It will smooth the cut and reduce the frosted look, just don't over do it or it will distort it. Also if the acrylic is very cold when you apply the flame it can crack or craze.

Kenm810
07-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I've Been Lucky enough to find a couple of plastic out-let stores and companies
in our local Yellow Pages, where they sell Scraps and Cut-Off of Cast Acrylic by the pound.
It's really not cheap, but picking it up saves the cost of having someone ship it to me.

I have used a few smaller engraving type bits on the Corian and clear Cast Acrylic,
but found a sharp 1/16" Tapered Carving Bit still works the best for most of my Projects.

lmbkb
07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi guys,
I haven't been on in a little bit. I hope everyone is doing good on their machine. I was reading about finding acrylic in local shop that is great if they give you a good price. I am here to offer more of my box deals that I do. It seems like everyone likes getting the material at wholesale prices for corian and othe solid surfaces .
I only have a couple because someone ordered these 3 boxes and didn't follow thru with it. So I am going to give them a great deal to get rid on them. I have bone corian and another solid surface that is just like corian. It works like corian and sand,routs like corian. It is like an antique white color.
The boxes are $50 each and shipping is $11.50 for each box. If you seen my post about boxes before you will seen these are a big drop in price. I ship priority flat rate mail which is 2 to 3 day delivery time. I sold alot of these boxes on here before and if you ask the guys that bought from me will let you know I ship right away and pack very well. If you want one or all 3 boxes let me know, first come first serve.

The boxes are like this :
1 box of 19pcs. solid surface ( not corian, but works the same) 8x10x1/4"

2 boxes that include 20pcs. of bone corian and 10pcs.of solid surface ( not corian, but works the same) 5x7x1/4" totaling 30pcs per box

I hope you guys see that this is a great deal and the prices are because someone else fell thru of buying them. I need to sell before I can get new material.

Email me at lmbkb@comcast.net and please put corian in the subject so I don't overlook your email.
Larry