PDA

View Full Version : Ebonizing Wood

karossii
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Haven't yet tried this, but I stumbled across this article and intend to give it a whirl sometime in the near future!

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/Ebonizing_Wood/

spalted
06-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks Ken,

That is very interesting, I saved the recipe for future reference.

Let us know how yours turns out.

CarverJerry
07-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Seems like I learn something new every day, so I guess it is possible to teach on old dog new tricks after all. Thanks for sharing Ken.

CJ

Router-Jim
07-01-2010, 06:49 AM
I've use the ebonizing technique for a number of years, never heard of adding that bark though.

I found that it works good for red and white oak, walnut, and cherry. The frame on this carve is ebonized cherry.

Kenm810
07-01-2010, 07:15 AM
The Process does work, this is a Table and set of Chairs that I disassembled,cleaned, and striped, as I Ebonized them with similar results.
After about 13yrs they still look almost new, -- even with a few touch-ups needed from Vacuum Cleaner impacts and Grand Kid induced nicks.

Ps. I've also used it on a few Oriental styled Wall Plaques

eromran
07-01-2010, 07:37 AM
So if you dont use the bark process are you just adding the iron solution to do this or somthing else also ?

Kenm810
07-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I've use Iron Black and Dyes, but I favor India Ink for the best results for me.

Here's a little info for Ebonizing of blackening wood

http://www.egcc.biz/workshop/e/ebonising.htm

Router-Jim
07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
So if you dont use the bark process are you just adding the iron solution to do this or somthing else also ?

The recipe that I found years ago used white vinegar, steel wool pad, and a few rusty nails. Let set for a week and strain when using. I assume the rusty nails were to help speed up the oxidation process. I have also used the above and added a 1/4 teaspoon of grape tannin which is available at wine making stores for a couple of bucks.