PDA

View Full Version : Sled Question

ruggybear
06-30-2010, 07:02 PM
If I make a sled as follows:

15L x 5w and place a carve region centered 6L x 4w and .25 deep to hold a piece of corian

Paint the sled black so the machine will only see the corian when measuring.

When I try to carve the corian will the machine be smart enough to carve where the corian is?

Or should the carve region be close to the edge of the sled next to the keypad?

I am trying to keep from wasting corianwhen I do these smaller projects.

Thanks in advance.

AskBud
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM

15L x 5w and place a carve region centered 6L x 4w and .25 deep to hold a piece of corian

When I try to carve the corian will the machine be smart enough to carve where the corian is?

Thanks in advance.I think you will find that the color of the sled has no bearing on measurements. The "end" of board/sled the seen when the roller drops and the sensor on the truck takes over.

If you "Center" your project on the sled, you will answer "Center" when the unit asks where you wish the carve. Remember that you, also, need the tell the unit to "Keep Original Size".

My "Download" section, below, has a PDF about Multi-Use sleds, which you may find useful.
AskBud

jaroot
06-30-2010, 07:31 PM

Thanks in advance.

There is really no reason to paint the sled black. The machine will still "see" it anyway because it is also tracking it with the board sensor. As long as the carve region is centered on the sled and you make the "virtual" board the 4 X 6 size all you will have to do is "keep original size" and "center on board". I made a sled pretty much like what you are describing for a litho that I made and it worked great. Only caveat is that you need to make sure that the corian is secure in the sled. Either with double stick tape or whatever as it can lift slightly when one end is under the roller and the other end is not. also if there is a little slop in the hole vs. the corian it can move around a little horizontally as well.

Also make sure that the recess "carve region" on the sled is exactly the same depth as the thickness of the corian or you will get carving depth variations and possibly a z axis stall.

Good luck!

Digitalwoodshop
06-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I think you are on the right track but skip the black paint. I would do the carve region but rather than using center on board I would setup the 6 x 4 carve region in the center of the board and setup the project to place on end. It is just my choice..... The place on the center of the board measures the board twice causing more wear and tear on the machine.

AL

dbfletcher
06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
I've had trouble with MDF sleds (being dark) with the machine being able to find the end of the board. I usually just put a strip of masking tape across the width at the end of the boards when that happens. I think black is just asking for trouble.

ruggybear
06-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks to all,

I figured it out by doing exactly what you all have indicated. Currenty carving a litho.

The 4 x 6 carve region is in the center of the sled and the deapth is .25 inches the same as the corian. When the machine goes through the measuring process there is no lifting of the corian as it passes under the rollers so there is no problem there.

I think I was having a brain malfunction when I originally posted this thread. Once I really began to think about it I got it working.

and NO BLACK PAINT!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone. This forum rocks!!!!!

TIMCOSBY
07-05-2010, 02:51 AM
i think you still need something to hold it in the cutout. the bit may hook it as it is going up and could tear some stuf up in there. one strip of double sided tape should do it.

DocWheeler
07-05-2010, 10:32 AM
i think you still need something to hold it in the cutout. the bit may hook it as it is going up and could tear some stuf up in there. one strip of double sided tape should do it.

Tim, I agree, at least put masking tape around the edges to help hold it. Making sure not to have the bit touch-down on the tape of course.