PDA

View Full Version : Photo of hot flexshaft ...

Ron Smith
12-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Sorry ... I guess the other photo was too large to add. I've reduced it, so maybe this will be better. You can see the bend in the shaft and it is locked up tight.

will george
04-26-2009, 04:47 PM
My whole shaft poped out of the motor housing! I was lucky.. No damage..

Digitalwoodshop
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Another post from 2006......

I just broke a Flex Shaft today....

I was cutting 6 three inch slots in some hard pine .6 deep with the 3/8 inch bit using .2 depth pass. The Bit could use a cleaning, the flex was wobbling like crazy.... I would cut .1 next time and I already cleaned the bit.

I switched to the V60 bit to do the text on the Business Card Holder and when it went to cut the text, I got a Z Stall. The Motor was running, I just did not see that the QC was NOT Moving.... Did this 3 times.... Cleaned the rails, belt cogs.... Had me stumped.... Then on the 3rd time at bit change I FINALLY noticed the bit was not spinning....

It was broke in the middle.... LUCKY for ME.... 2 years ago, I bought 2 REPLACEMENT FLEX Shafts..... Just the inner core. It turned out to be a 2 minute fix with lubrication of the new flex shaft.

Score one for having spare parts....

I cut a lot of 3/8 inch bit signs, so this was not totally unexpected. The Spring did not get damaged and I did a Shaft Lube about a week ago.

AL

Wilbur
04-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Just how hot does the Flex Shaft get before it is too hot.
Mine is getting hotter than the other one I had.
I have a short run time on this machine and have lubed it twice but it has not helped.
I can hold it in my hand with out getting burned but it is still hotter than I think it should be.
What do you think.

Wilbur

PCW
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Wilbur

I monitor mine quite often and it should never fell hot to the touch. Mine runs between 80 to 95 Fahrenheit. Are you using Liquid Wrench Chain Lube with Moly for lubrication?

bdehoyos
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I had the same problem, after I lubed it did not go away, then I realized that the carving bit was getting dull, I got a new bit and now my Flex shaft is back to normal. so I think that as the bit goes dull the more work that the machine has to do

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Pull your damper spring out of the flex shaft. Does it have a kink or flat spot at the same place where it gets hot?

I kinked my spring last summer and it heated the outer flex to the point that black smoke set off my smoke detector.

Speaking of Smoke Detectors.... I highly recommend you have a dedicated smoke detector above your machine.

AL

bdehoyos
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
smoke detector, excelent idea for all of us.

Wilbur
04-30-2009, 07:09 AM
This is a new machine and has run hotter than my other one from day one.
I have used Liquid Wrench Chain Lube with Moly for lubrication twice with no change.
I do have a new bit. I will use it today and see if that makes a difference.
It has not gotten so hot that I have had smoke or that I could not hold it.
I must say that it is a pleasure using a machine that works good.
I did notice that twice now The head gets stuck when I am finished with a carve and try to crank it up. It looks as if it is sticking on the right side. I have to force it to come loose and I don't like doing that.
I have cleaned and oiled everything I can get to.

Wilbur

Wilbur
04-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Started carving today. I lubed the flex cable yesterday. I put in a new bit today before I started carving.
Attached my temp. probe to the cable and after 3 hr of run time it is 117° F.

Rick P
05-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Some QCs can generate vibrations, which translates into heat in the flex shaft and I don't know if any amount of lube would help that flex shaft run as cool as some report. Just another factor to consider...

Wilbur
05-01-2009, 07:04 AM
You could be right. This is my second machine and it has very little run time on it. I know that the shelf on it runs hotter than the one on my old one did.
Using Liquid Wrench Chain Lube with Moly has not helped cool this down.
After running 5 hr yesterday I checked the temp at 132°F 15° higher than the day before.
So for everything is running very good. Maybe I should have not said that. Every time I say that something goes wrong.Wilbur

Chief
10-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I've notice that Liquid Wrench Chain Lube with Moly seems to be used or favored by all. Where do you buy it? I checked the Gunk site and no such lube exists.

eromran
10-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I've notice that Liquid Wrench Chain Lube with Moly seems to be used or favored by all. Where do you buy it? I checked the Gunk site and no such lube exists.I have found mine at Walmart and Advanced Auto

Kenm810
10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Chief,

Welcome to the CW Forum,

Please believe us --- Liquid Wrench Industrial Chain Lube with Moly does exists.
Some of the auto and tractor supply shops around me also stock it. :wink:

fhoward2
10-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I bought mine at Ace Hardware.

drwatkins
10-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I know where there is nearly a full case! I was having difficulty finding it so I just asked the clerk at the auto parts store to order me some and he ordered a whole case of it. I bought two cans. If anyone in middle tennessee needs it it is at the kraco auto parts in Parsons, TN. But, if you ask the good folks at O'Riely's or NAPA, they should be able to order it as well.

By the way, I had another (brand new) chuck fail. I'm giving up and getting a ROCK. So where do I order it? Ron's web site or where?

PCW
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
For a current list, and to order custom tools and accessories Ron makes for your CarveWright, see [www.cw-parts.com (http://www.cw-parts.com/)]

drwatkins
10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks, using your link, I just placed the order.