PDA

View Full Version : Hair Care Center - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
06-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Hair Care Center". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This project provides a convenient and attractive wall-mounted organizer for two of your main hair care products. It holds a hair dryer and comb/brush, or curling iron or hair straightener (a cooled curling iron or hair straightener, of course!).

The project requires no special bits and the main components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine.

The finished dimensions of the assembled Hair Care Center are 14" tall x 8½" wide x 4¾" deep.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Hair_Care_Panel.mpc
• Panel_Components.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Hair Care Panel: .75" x 11" x 22"
Panel Components: .75" x 8" x 16"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Two screws and two 5/16" round-head wood plugs

4) Drill, countersink bit

5) Sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Hair Care Center made from Select Pine wood:

1) Minwax Colonial Maple stain #223
2) three coats Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic spray
3) three coats Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic (brushed on)

After the finish is dry, use two screws to mount the panel using drywall screw inserts, or install centered over a wall stud. Insert two round-head wood plugs to hide the countersunk screw heads.

unitedcases
06-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow Michael, pretty neat. Especially for anyone that has girls in the house.

Ike
06-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Is it that time again?!!! Where did the month go? Another nice one!

Ike

c6craig
06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Nice one MT, gonna have to resubscribe, I think this is my last one...always look forward to them.

And for you single bald guys out there, you can probably just put some hooks on there to hang your ballcaps 8)

Craig

William Blankenship
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month.......

Nice one Michael; I'm going to have to subscribe one of these days when I get the oncology bill under control.

Bill...

jaroot
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Nice one MT, gonna have to resubscribe, I think this is my last one...always look forward to them.

And for you single bald guys out there, you can probably just put some hooks on there to hang your ballcaps 8)

Craig

Bald single guys can still use a hairdryer! It works really well to help epoxy finishes flow out nicely. :mrgreen:

CarverJerry
06-30-2010, 06:30 AM
That is a nice POM, will you keep making the POM's or is LRH going to take it over?

CJ

mtylerfl
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Thank you, everyone! It is handy-dandy and will make a nice item to sell at craft shows too. My wife was after me to make one of these for months! Finally did it!

CJ, yes, I will continue to make the POM's ad infinitum! (You ought to see my project "ta-do" list - it will keep us all busy for years and years!)

RayTrek
06-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Michael,
I agree about looking forward to receiving your projects each month, They all have been great!
I will be renewing superscriptions for years to come if you are the one ho is doing them,
Cheers to you, ~ Ray