PDA

View Full Version : Jointing problems

starman2
06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Im trying to joint boards and having a rather strange issue. The wood im using is 3/4 inch clear white mine, not bowed or cupped. Using masking tape on the brass roller side. The boards are 5.5 inches wide by 31 inches long. Machine has been recently calibrated, has correct head pressure new Z pack and cabels, new X encoder. Machine carves projects fine.

When jointing, the machine runs along the board \removing about 1/16 inch of material until it gets about 27 inches along the board, then it backs away from the board leaving about a 1/32 inch "hump" in the cut. Obviously not satisfactory for jointing. It does this every time in approximately the same place. Ive checked everything I can think of...... bearings are all tight, using the rock chuck with a brand new 3/8 inch straight bit. Cant think of anything else to try....... Looking for your ideas.

Icutone2
06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Are your infeed and outfeed rollers set to high?
Lee

starman2
06-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reply........ no the infeed and outfeed rollers are correct.

Digitalwoodshop
06-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Never done jointing on the CW.... Did you select stay under rollers... And it scaled your project jointing only the center of the board leaving 3.5 inches on either end not jointed....

Hey, you can make a Knife Holder...... Slot in the center....

AL

dbfletcher
06-28-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure "jointing" and such operation are only available from the keypad of the cw/cc. I dont think any of the "stay under roller" type questions come in to play.

Digitalwoodshop
06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure "jointing" and such operation are only available from the keypad of the cw/cc. I don't think any of the "stay under roller" type questions come in to play.

That could very well be... Never used the CW for keypad operations.

AL

unitedcases
06-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Fascinating that this machine does do that, but most carvers generally do not use these functions. Alot of guys find it is easier and faster to use a jointer but not all of us have access to these other machines. I am one of those. You will find that it will use alot of time on your cutmotor and your bits. Just my 2 cents.