PDA

View Full Version : How to make raised oarder and dome?

mr1234
06-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Greetings
One thing I dearly like about he manufactures of this machine, It's all a secret. Looking at the sundrie box project the top has a ring on the outer edge that is raised and the top is domed. In great detail with the easy steps not left out, how is this done?

AskBud
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Greetings
One thing I dearly like about he manufactures of this machine, It's all a secret. Looking at the sundrie box project the top has a ring on the outer edge that is raised and the top is domed. In great detail with the easy steps not left out, how is this done?
Lots of times many of us will "Reverse Engineer" an MPC. Projects usually include a PDF with instructions, however, if the portion you are asking about is a pattern to itself it gets tougher.

If you point us to the link for the project, many may respond with ideas. Who knows, the designer of the project may even be willing to share.
AskBud

mr1234
06-29-2010, 02:09 AM
The pattern is in the tips and tricks that I refer to for the sundrie box. Tryed looking for the author but no luke using his name in the search function? Want to have a complete circle raised like the board of the picture frame. tried using the program with each side to be raised (domes) no luck. Anybody got ideas on how to make this work.

Thanks/God Bless

AskBud
06-29-2010, 03:32 AM
The pattern is in the tips and tricks that I refer to for the sundrie box. Tryed looking for the author but no luke using his name in the search function? Want to have a complete circle raised like the board of the picture frame. tried using the program with each side to be raised (domes) no luck. Anybody got ideas on how to make this work.

Thanks/God Bless
Michael Tyler published, and signed, the PDF. He has a site, http://www.carvebuddy.com and in that site is a "Free Stuff" section.
At the bottom of page #2 is the download for the MPC.

Michael has a contact option on his site, or you can PM him on the Forum via his ID of mtylerfl. You type the first 3 letters of "mty", and the choice appears for you to select.

By reverse engineering the MPC, I see that Michael made the "Top Dome" as a pattern. He did this to keep from confusing the user with the details of "how this was done".

We know that Michael makes patterns using a variety of methods, and he has published some of his secrets from time to time. Sometimes he uses "Gradients", rather than any standard "Dome" process we may apply via Designer. Michael can better point you to these old links than I can. By searching the forum, they can be found. "Ball", and "Slope", are two such secrets, if I recall correctly.

To emulate what Michael has done we could use his patterns, or create the circles and carve areas, and apply the Dome of our choice to each area. Michael's "Ball" pattern will probably out shine any Dome we could, currently, select.

I hope this helps you understand, and I'm sure that Michael can better state the entire process than I'm able to do.
AskBud

mtylerfl
06-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Hello,

I made the dome box lid with the outer raised/rounded rim in a software program called ArtCAM. The same thing could easily be done in a program called Aspire. I do not know of a way to create an exact duplicate of that type of lid within the Designer software.

TIMCOSBY
06-30-2010, 01:19 AM
you might be able to do it using the free software called wolfies gradient designer. its posted on here somewhere under my post's just do a search.