PDA

View Full Version : Deck Railing Design Ideas Please

Capt Bruce
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Hello Forum Members,

I'd like to challenge your thinking and request your help for some design ideas. I've just completed our new deck overlooking the Yellow River. The two level design in Brazilian Tigerwood worked out beautifully and now it's time to finish the detailing using my CarveWright. These are some views to give you the setting. I'll follow with an MPC to give you the project proposal format.

34930 34928 34929 34927

When I complete my current FEMA disaster recovery duty assignment in Tennessee I'm going to begin removing the deck railing front face plates one at a time and carve designs into each one. I'm thinking of grapes, leaves and vines for some of them but with about 30 plates to decorate I'd appreciate your good ideas of other themes that would fit this wooded river setting. A few Navy themes will probably also be included given my background.

This is going to cost me more than a few carving bits because Tigerwood is awfully tough stuff but we'll enjoy it for the next 20 or 30 years. I hope you'll take up this challenge and help add to the final project. Thanks in advance.

Capt Bruce
06-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Just to help set the scene of the deck rail design challenge above, a few more views.

34937 34936 34935 34934

b.sumner47
06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Captain, The first things that you need. How about a fueling station,next boarding ladder,and a bucket of fair tides. just kidding. Looks beatiful how about some ideas of the ports you called upon. Capt Barry

c6craig
06-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Capt. Bruce,

Not sure about carve ideas, but just wanted to chime in and say that is one heck of a great looking deck! I love the wood and the layout must have taken some serious work!

Craig

Capt Bruce
06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Capt Barry,
In brief Hamburg, Dover, Calais, Gotteborg, Naples, Ville Franc, Port Said, Beirut, All over the Chesapeake, Maine, Connecticut, San Diego, Oakland & Frisco, Pearl Harbor, Rio, London, NYC, Mobile, Jacks, Miami Port Everglades, Maiorca, Amalfie, Capri, Suda Bay, Da Nang, Hong Kong, Maico, Guantanamo, San Juan, New Orleans, Bermuda, Montego Bay . . . shall I stop? All this and never in command of a Naval Vessel, as Civil Engineer Corps officers of the Navy cannot command at sea. Instead we command Naval Mobile Construction Battalions and I've been a lifetime sailor (wind power rules).

Capt Bruce
06-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Capt. Bruce,

Not sure about carve ideas, but just wanted to chime in and say that is one heck of a great looking deck! I love the wood and the layout must have taken some serious work!

Craig

Thanks Craig,

It has been a labor of love that we've dreamed of for years. The design started on a napkin over dinner one night to replace a 25+ year old plain square deck that was really becoming structurally unsafe. So if you're going to do it, do it just once and do it right. CAN DO!

This is the design concept from 60 Feet in the air that only the birds get to appreciate.

34982 I've built it reinforced to support a hot tub some day and incorporated a greenhouse for my lovely Mate. Hope to get back home soon and enjoy it for the rest of the Summer.

spalted
06-30-2010, 06:46 AM
That is a beautiful deck Bruce.

Around here it's all tourists and second home except for a couple of us. Animal tracks, deer and bear are very popular subject matter. However I don't think your deck has that kind of cabin look to it.

I keep thinking about a subtle motif of some sort. I like the grape vine idea or Oak leaves and acorns, or pine branches with pine cones?

cnsranch
06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
There are way too many cool things to do with a span like that - I'm sure whatever you do will look great.

Capt Bruce
06-30-2010, 01:53 PM
There are way too many cool things to do with a span like that - I'm sure whatever you do will look great.

Now that's what I'm talking about Jerry. Your design earns a place on one railing plate. I like it Sir as it brings in all the elements that are here including our native deer. Thanks for the idea and your drawing.

We do appreciate the very kind comments on the deck from everyone but it's just the canvas. The artwork is yet to be added with the CarveWright.

cnsranch
06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
You are too kind, Capn'

There are hundreds of free patterns in the Sharing Depot you can use with such an "open canvas" like these - the one's I threw together were from there, the filagree came from the basic patterns in Designer.

Watch your depth when making the design, and if you carve the designs into the piece (vs. using a Carve Region) I'd suggest a small feather - 1/8".

Be sure to post some pics as your thoughts come together.

Capt Bruce
07-02-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm finding it tough in this narrow horizontal format to find designs to celebrate the Blue Herons and various Raptors that patrol our little river valley. Challenges abound, but at least fish lay horizontally . . .

AskBud
07-02-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm finding it tough in this narrow horizontal format to find designs to celebrate the Blue Herons and various Raptors that patrol our little river valley. Challenges abound, but at least fish lay horizontally . . .
I see that some of the stiles (uprights) on the fencing are wider. Why not place your birde there!
AskBud

Capt Bruce
07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Good thought AskBud. I may add some plates on those uprights for additional details, but the actual posts are solidly built in so not removable like the horizontal face plates. Thanks for the new thinking and the Herons thank you as well.

eelamb
07-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Bruce here is something you might like to use. It has the modes of transportation I am sure you have used over the years. I know I used them while in the Navy. All the patterns have been listed here except the ships wheel. This is the first time it has been shown on the forum. If you want any or all of the patterns let me know I will send them to you. MPC file was too large to list here.

Capt Bruce
07-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Many thanks Eddie,

You've earned a rail plate when I get home from the disaster and get on with carving again. I may substitute a C-130 transport for the Tri-Plane since I wasn't in the Navy quite that long. I have a ships wheel I designed that will fit in quite well. Thanks again.

Old Salt
07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Would mounting your bird carvings to clear lexin then mount to spindels may give a deeper 3d look.