PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistant "Please load piece / board"

jacksquestion
06-27-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm brand new. Picked up my refurbished Carve-tight about 10 days back. My 1st project was to do a board 3/4" x 9 1/4" x 16" with multiple lines of text each in a different font. I used a 3/4" sled 24" long.

It came out OK but now when I try to put another board in the same sled and crank the handle down for head pressure it comes up with "Please load board" To add to my confusion I've tried other boards of various thicknesses between 1/2" and 2 5/8" without the sled and it may or may not recognize it is there. If it registers the board in place and I crank the head up and back down it varies whether it finds it or not. So far most of the time it does not. If I place a 3" or thicker board on the belt the problem seems to disappear.

I've cleaned the posts and the screws and checked the head pressure a number of times (runs between 72 and 76 lbs. on multiple checks). Please What am I missing? With only this one test piece under my belt I've got a lot learning and carving to do. HELP

dbfletcher
06-27-2010, 10:44 AM
It sounds like one of the roller compression switches isn't activating correctly. If you go to options/sensor check from the keypad, you can crank the head down on your work piece and then check the status of the front and back roller. I'm not near my machine right now, so I cant give you the exact sequence to get to the right place from the keypad. But hopefully I gave you enough info to get you close.

jacksquestion
06-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the quick reply dbflether. I'll head to the machine (Owners manual in hand) and see what I can find!

jacksquestion
06-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Quick update. I was able to get into and through the "options/sensor" set. Any board that I put in under 2 1/2" the "Front Roller Released, Back Roller Compressed" comes up. Any thing over 2 1/2 " both are compressed. I tried adjusting the front (right) feed plate but it did not help. Is this sensor / setting something that we as owners can adjust hopefully?

c6craig
06-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Quick update. I was able to get into and through the "options/sensor" set. Any board that I put in under 2 1/2" the "Front Roller Released, Back Roller Compressed" comes up. Any thing over 2 1/2 " both are compressed. I tried adjusting the front (right) feed plate but it did not help. Is this sensor / setting something that we as owners can adjust hopefully?

I would try dropping both feed plates down so they are out of the equation on this. Make sure your board is absolutely flat. You can also try cleaning out the spot that makes the rollers stick. Crank the machine all the way up and with one hand compress the roller on the side away from the keypad. You will see a small square that the roller rides in, when I had this problem there was some sawdust crammed in there. A small brush and compressed air took care of it for me. Tough to get to or think of because you cant see it unless the roller is compressed, so make sure you push up on the roller on that side to see it.

Good luck,
Craig

AskBud
06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
The roller sensors are on the keyboard side.
Work the roller up & down & roll, as you blow air into the area of the sensor. It's a spot for dust & dirt to nest.

Remember that you have a "Thickness minimum" as well. Some projects must be placed on a sled to allow the rollers to do their job.
I would also perform a "level" test on the Head. Place 2 "like" boards at the ends of each roller, and do a touch/thickness test. Place strips of paper on the board ,under each roller and bring the head down to just touch. Now, tug on each paper to see that the tension is equal on each one. Level the head as needed.
AskBud

c6craig
06-27-2010, 11:43 AM
BTW - AskBud is right about the sensor being on the keyboard side. You definitely want to clean that side as well. When I said the side away from the keyboard it was because that was where my problem was. Sawdust can collect in there too, making the rollers sticky to compress or release. Just another thing to check..

Good luck,
Craig

jacksquestion
06-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Tried the suggestion. Cleaned both ends. When I pull up on roller at keypad end I can hear the pressure sensing switch click on and off, so I tried and experiment.

While lowering the rollers I manualy (no board in place) compressed (pulled upward) by hand the roller to trigger the switch. As it went down it showed "Compressed" each time until I got within about 2 1/2" from the belts. Any time below this point it indicated "Front Roller Released" even though I could hear the switch clicking on each hand compression.

I checked the wires that I could feel going toward the switch to see if they were pulling or getting tight but couldn't feel anything. I'm still open for suggestions. THANKS

Digitalwoodshop
06-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Well you are on the right track that the load board error is being caused by the roller switches. Another thing that can contribute to load board errors is the head level. Since it is a recon machine you really don't know how it was handled. In shipping the head can be pushed down on one side causing the head to get out of level.

Install a wide board and crank it down. Call up the Z Data on the Options, Sensor Data menu. Lower the Z Head to the left side of the board and note the measurement. Relocate to the right side of the board and look at the numbers. The Cross connector between the sand paper belts is only held by a screw and when it skips a tooth the head is out of level and can cause pressure problems.

I would use air and blow out the area of the roller switches while pushing up and releasing the rollers.

Getting a dust collection system would be good too.

AL

jacksquestion
06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks to all. I contacted service yesterday after trying the suggestions. Since then I have again re-aligned the head, releveled the rollers adjusted the pressure so that I am now cosistantly between 75 and 78 lbs., cleaned all posts screws and gears, relubed and eliminated both feed tray possible issues. Unfortunately the problem still exists. Unless I use a sled of at least 2" thick under a 3/4" board the front roller still does not register pressure when in the Options/sencor mode.

As I indicated before as I crank the head down and manualy trigger the front roller it registers fine from top of height range untill I get to about 2 1/2" from the high traction belt and at that point even though I can hear the presure switch click in and out the screen shows "Front Roller Realeased"

If the cost of shipping weren't so high it would be on its way back to CW to give them another try to "Refurbish" it again.
I'm stumped.
Any last suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

AskBud
06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm brand new. Picked up my refurbished Carve-tight about 10 days back. My 1st project was to do a board 3/4" x 9 1/4" x 16" with multiple lines of text each in a different font. I used a 3/4" sled 24" long.

It came out OK but now when I try to put another board in the same sled and crank the handle down for head pressure it comes up with "Please load board" To add to my confusion I've tried other boards of various thicknesses between 1/2" and 2 5/8" without the sled and it may or may not recognize it is there. If it registers the board in place and I crank the head up and back down it varies whether it finds it or not. So far most of the time it does not. If I place a 3" or thicker board on the belt the problem seems to disappear.

I've cleaned the posts and the screws and checked the head pressure a number of times (runs between 72 and 76 lbs. on multiple checks). Please What am I missing? With only this one test piece under my belt I've got a lot learning and carving to do. HELP
Where did you "pick-up" your Carve-Tight unit? You use the words Carve-Tight, is that a true statement? Do you actually have a unit with the new CarveTight assembly? we/you may have an option not co nsidered if that is true! I've looked over the rest of the thread and understand the calls and actions you have taken so far.
AskBud
AskBud

jacksquestion
06-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi again AskBud. I purchased this unit directly from Carvewright (they shipped it to me directly). They refurbished a Carvewright (serial # starts with a "B" not a "C") but they refurbished it with the Carvetight assembly, bits and high traction belt. I spoke with tech. service again and they think it may be a short in the wire/cable going to the switch and are sending a switch and cable assembly out to me. I hope to have it by the middle of next week and will let you know how things go.

Again thanks for the interest and the help.

jacksquestion
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
WORKING!!! - AskBud, c6craig, and digitalwoodshop - Thanks for the support. The new switch and wiring harness are now installed and the Sensor Data seems to be working fine. I believe the problem was that the wires going to the front roller switch had been hot glued to the frame. I expect that it was done to keep the wires from getting caught in the worm screw. The problem was that the wires did not have enough slack in them to allow the roller to get below a certain point before they pulled back and up on the switch. Thanks again to you good folks (and the techs at Carvewright for the new cable).