PDA

View Full Version : Shellac

unitedcases
06-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out how to spray shellac. I have been buying it by the spray can and it is starting to cost. I would like to buy the quart but have no idea how to "cut" it. Can anyone give me the straight scoop?

PCW
06-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Here is a link to Bulls Eye Shellac Data Sheet (http://www.paint-service.co.uk/datasheets/zinssershellac.pdf).

Reduction Directions

Desired cut Mix in a separate container
3-lb. to 2-lb. 2 parts alcohol + 5 parts shellac
3-lb. to 1-lb. 3 parts alcohol + 2 parts shellac
2-lb. to 1-lb. 1 part alcohol + 1 part shellac

DocWheeler
06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Shellac does not have a long shelf-life, the best way to get/store it is in chip form I believe. Dissolve the chips in alcohol, check websites for suggestions on the best ratio - I think it is called "pound cut" which is number of pounds of chips to (?) amount of alcohol. As you can see, I'm grasping for knowledge that I don't really have!

If you are using it out of a can, it should say what the percentage is so you can add more alcohol to get what you want. If viscosity is the basis of your question, I can not help you as I don't spray it.

I know that there are some good web sites as I have read some, but I'm headed for bed - early morning tomorrow, sorry.

PCW had it covered anyway, good night!

liquidguitars
06-25-2010, 09:39 PM
He cut his water thin..

here is a video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9M-B79jzs&feature=related

pkunk
06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I've used shellac for years and never had any luck trying to spray it. The bugs/shells of that shellac is made from clog the spray tip even when disolved.

unitedcases
06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
So if one was to try it then it would need to be alot of denatured alcohol then. Maybe a 50/50 cut. Not doubting anyone but they got it in a spray can and thats 6 bucks a can. 1 quart is 10 bucks plus some alcohol and I think I could be saving some money.

PCW
06-26-2010, 07:12 AM
I think it is all in the size of the needle and spray tip. What I use with good results when spraying shellac is a gravity feed primer gun with a 2 mm tip. It will not plug up and by adjusting fluid flow and air pressure you can lay down just about any finish on small to large projects. Auto re-finisher for years and have quite a collection of guns but always grab the cheap gravity feed primer gun with a 2 mm tip for wood projects. Just my thoughts.

spalted
06-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a high end turbine HVLP and a cheap gravity feed gun that Dan mentioned I have had good luck with both for shellac. If you want to be on the safe side strain it through a paper filter to remove any bug bits.

It should not be necessary to thin it with alcohol unless you want a lighter color.