PDA

View Full Version : Questions about PMs

hess
06-25-2010, 06:22 PM
It was bought to my att that the messages I Thought I was sending as we would before the change over via PM were only seen by those folks, and that the pms I have sent recently went out where all could see?

I was not my intent for this to happen, So to all invoked I'm sorry as it was not my intent on this site. Still do not understand how a PM becomes public

unitedcases
06-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Hmmm, interesting.

TerryT
06-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Hess,
How do you know it was public? I haven't seen anything. They have always been able to be read by the mods. Private message is not the right title for these. They check them before sending them along. So anything you send in a PM IS NOT PRIVATE. And never has been. But unless someone tells you different I think the mods are the only ones that saw your PM.

pkunk
06-25-2010, 06:51 PM
PM's are private. Mods nor Admin can have any access to them. Unless this new software has some trick that I don't know about, there is no way. Private is private.

dbfletcher
06-25-2010, 07:02 PM
PM's are private. Mods nor Admin can have any access to them. Unless this new software has some trick that I don't know about, there is no way. Private is private.

Unfortunately, you have lost all credibility in my eyes. I know there are other members here who actually use the same forum software and are familiar with the inner working, so I think I'll just take your comments with a grain of salt until someone more knowledgeable responds.

liquidguitars
06-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately, you have lost all credibility in my eyes. I know there are other members here who actually use the same forum software and are familiar with the inner working, so I think I'll just take your comments with a grain of salt until someone more knowledgeable responds.

Doug with all due respect I think this is uncalled for. Paul pointed out that the seller misled the cost of his CW by 600.00 Paul called him on it, I for one was glad he did. I would think people would focus on more important things like carving.

here is a new brige I made on the CW yesterday.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/PBrigeR004-a.jpg

hess
06-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Everyone chill out. I have sent some pms and this got sent to me now maybe Im sending them different but did not want anyone offend. Im not here to cook sh-t up this was what I got it may be that I was not signed in when I sent it out

"Just so you know, any "visitor message" you leave for someone can be viewed by anyone visiting that person's page.

Thought I'd mention it, this new-fangled Forum deal is a lot different than the old one...we could only send a private message there.

I'm raising this only 'cause I saw the message you left Paul - if you intended it to be public, that's your biz - if you meant it to be private, it ain't.

Regards "

This appear to mean it shows on their profile page and not as a PM so my bad I need glasses. Still did not want it to show but to the one I sent to and if Paul or others got it other wise I'm sorry! still want to kow what I did to send it that it show up at all for others to read

and thanks very much to the one that let me know. Now lets dial it down some

dbfletcher
06-25-2010, 10:30 PM
I see what your talking about now Hess. It looks like a "visitor message" is public (althought perhaps there are settings to change that)... whereas PM's we hope are actually private.

Thanks for the further explaination.

Digitalwoodshop
06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
If you click on a persons name it gives you a contact page and a place for you to send a PM or Private Message. It also lets you leave a visitor message in another window that is a Public Hello from you. It also lists who visited your contact page. I see it all the time on Sawmill Creek..... someone posts an interesting topic or post and I wonder if that person has a website to look at what they do. It will show previous visitors to that users page.

I like the new Forum Style but it took a bit to understand posting pictures.... Even missed the link for resetting my password when I needed it and had to call....

I think we are all a little sensitive and it is showing in our posts. We are all here to have a good time carving but sometimes guys like me throw my weight around and step on some toes.... I apologize if any forum members were harmed while posting on this forum.

AL

hess
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I see what your talking about now Hess. It looks like a "visitor message" is public (althought perhaps there are settings to change that)... whereas PM's we hope are actually private.

Thanks for the further explaination.

I did not know there was such a thing so I did the bad thing and ASUMED it was going out with the PM as I just hie reply and send did not mean for any problems for anyone.

hess
06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
If you click on a persons name it gives you a contact page and a place for you to send a PM or Private Message. It also lets you leave a visitor message in another window that is a Public Hello from you. It also lists who visited your contact page. I see it all the time on Sawmill Creek..... someone posts an interesting topic or post and I wonder if that person has a website to look at what they do. It will show previous visitors to that users page.

I like the new Forum Style but it took a bit to understand posting pictures.... Even missed the link for resetting my password when I needed it and had to call....

I think we are all a little sensitive and it is showing in our posts. We are all here to have a good time carving but sometimes guys like me throw my weight around and step on some toes.... I apologize if any forum members were harmed while posting on this forum.

AL

Thanks for the heads up I never even paid atten to the way it went out. still getting use to this new change. a list of how it works for us less worldly ones would be nice. Heck there may be something and I just have not read it yet. As for you Al your occ PMS is easliy overlooked as you seem to be the most intimate one here when it comes to the CW/CC Sometimes I think you sleep with one

dbfletcher
06-26-2010, 12:16 AM
As an FYI, there is a setting for that controls who can view visitor messages, but there inst a whole lot of granularity to the setting. (See attached)

edit: looks the the forum auto-sizes it to a much smaller size than the original file... i might be hard to read. But you can click on "Settings" (upper right of screen) and then "Profile Privacy" to get to that screen

hess
06-26-2010, 02:32 AM
thanks much found it