PDA

View Full Version : measuring problem

CHRISTIAN
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
When I put carving sled in machine and start project I can get as far as measuring the board and when it measures the first length it runs off the tracking ball and causes an error. Sometimes the first measurment works but when it goes the other way it runs off the end and errors. I keep dusting off the board sensor and did the board sensor troubleshooting procedures in the manual, but it does not seem to help. Is there another adjustment I can do?

christian

cnsranch
06-25-2010, 02:15 PM
It's possible that the weight of the sled is causing it to tip quite a bit as it leaves the first roller - that will cause the sled to lose touch with the tracking roller. Tracking roller's not moving, machine keeps moving the sled, spits it out the end.

Make sure your infeed and outfeed rollers are adjusted properly. If the sled's quite long, you may need additional roller support.

CHRISTIAN
06-25-2010, 03:11 PM
I found a black plastic snap ring on the back side of the truck that was loose and trying to fall out. 1. Is this snap ring necessary for function of machine? If so how can I keep it in place?

christian

Digitalwoodshop
06-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Trying to picture the snap you are talking about.

If your sled does not have end blocks it will not measure. When the sled comes out from under a roller it turns on the board sensor getting ready to measure the end of the board. If the sled it too high, it will not see a board edge.

AL

mtylerfl
06-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Trying to picture the snap you are talking about.

AL

I believe he's referring to one of the bearing/rail sweeps (i.e., snaps onto a bearing). Just 'snap' it back on the 'bare' bearing (has nothing to do with measuring).

AskBud
06-26-2010, 01:50 AM
I found a black plastic snap ring on the back side of the truck that was loose and trying to fall out. 1. Is this snap ring necessary for function of machine? If so how can I keep it in place?

christian
It is possible that one of the end tabs has broken off. It is designed to keep dirt away from the bearing. The next time you order something from LHR, order a set of 4 new ones.

For those that do not know what we are talking about, watch the video on the new CarveTight Chuck, and you will see the snap-ring, and here the narrator speak of them.
AskBud

CHRISTIAN
07-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Okay, I snapped the plastic ring back on and will order some glad that it wasn't half the truck falling apart. Now for the sled I have made my sled according to the tutorial video. I put masking tape across the end pieces it seems to have worked but mainly I brush off the sensor with an electric razor brush after each project that generally does the trick. I am finding a wealth of information reading this forum I just hope that I can profit from others' problems and questions and not make some of the same mistakes others have made. Although I still do not know everything about this machine I am having a blast learning.

christian