PDA

View Full Version : SpamBots

Aaron B
12-04-2006, 05:55 AM
Can anything be done with these? Would email sign up verification fix these things?

cmorlier
12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi Aaron,

We are trying to find fixes for this problem.

We have been using email verification for about six weeks now, and it doesn't seem to help. There seems to be two types of spammers:
1) What you might call google farmers, who just want our site to link to their site to increase their site ratings in search engines. These guys don't seem to verify there accounts.
2) The really obnoxious forum spammers, who put spam out on our forum. These guys don't seem to hesitate to verify their accounts.

At least once every weekday (and occasionally weekends), I go through and remove both types of spam. From the first group, there are occasionally borderline cases, where I have to make a judgment call. As long as a user has made valid (on topic) posts, s/he will not get removed.

When you see spam please don't create separate threads about it, as this just makes more noise in the forum (we remove these threads as well). If you feel a warning is necessary, please attach it to the offending post. We do our best to catch the spam posts, but if you think we have missed one, please notify us by email at support@carvewright.com, with the subject "Forum Spam", and point us to the post.

RobertP
12-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Why not elect a member as a co-moderator, there seem to be a few guys here who are regular posters and have been members for quite awhile that can help delete the post quicker? (Please not me, I am a mod on another large forum and that keeps me busy enough :lol: )

cmorlier
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
I like your suggestion Robert. I have to look into what options the forum software has for moderators, but I think we will try do this.

So in the meantime, we are taking volunteers. The only requirement for moderators is that they have a history of posting here on the forum.

Please respond to this post if you are interested.

pkunk
12-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Chris, I'll volunteer. :) I usually visit once or twice a day to see what's happening.

Jeff_Birt
12-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I would be glad to pitch in as well.

Greybeard
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM
From this side of the pond I can offer a different time frame, if that's any help.
I'm on line about 6-7 hours ahead of most of you guys, so I could have a "tidy up" before breakfast.
Unless of course some of you night owls work the late shift :)

John

cmorlier
12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Great! I was hoping for two or three volunteers, so I will get you guys set up. I will send you guys a private message once I have things setup.