PDA

View Full Version : Why is the curved groove has incorrect measurement?

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I set the yellow dot in the middle of the rectangle to be .75 but when the machine curved the rectangle groove, it is 1" instead of .75". The following is a picture of what I have. Anyway to fix this?

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n334/justLor/incorrectWidth.jpg

Many thanks for any kind of help.

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
When you select the bit you're going to use, inset it by 1/2 the diameter of the bit. The rectangle you've set is at .75", the center of the bit is traveling along the center of the rectangle's lines resulting in too wide a path.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
When you select the bit you're going to use, inset it by 1/2 the diameter of the bit. The rectangle you've set is at .75", the center of the bit is traveling along the center of the rectangle's lines resulting in too wide a path.

Forgive me but, where do I select the bit? I select the path and click on Tools/Drill Tool but nothing happens. The Select Bit option under the Tools menu is grayed out.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Okay, so if I am going to use the 1/8 that means the inset will be .0625", correct?

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Let's back up -

Have you drawn a rectangle and assigned a Carve Region to it, or have you assigned a Cut Path to the rectangle (I assumed you had assigned a cutting bit to the rectangle, but apparently not).

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Okay, so if I am going to use the 1/8 that means the inset will be .25", correct?

I think we're both posting at the same time.

The width of an 1/8" bit is .125, 1/2 of that is .0625 - that's the inset.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, I assigned a Curve Region with depth 1" but it shows as .808". I selected the Curve Region on the Carving list on the left but the Select Bit is still inactive to seelct.

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Can't carve deeper than .808", it'll default to that when you set it deeper.

A carve region is done with the carving bit, which has a taper to it - you won't get perfect dimensions with a Carve Region, but it will be close.

Make sure you don't have any feather assigned to the CR, it will widen the dimensions.

Just what are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can show you a better way....

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Can't carve deeper than .808", it'll default to that when you set it deeper.

A carve region is done with the carving bit, which has a taper to it - you won't get perfect dimensions with a Carve Region, but it will be close.

Make sure you don't have any feather assigned to the CR, it will widen the dimensions.

Just what are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can show you a better way....

I'm trying to carve a rectangle groove so I can fit another piece of wood inside of it. That's why I need it to be precise. So, how do I enable the Select Bit option? I already have a carve region assigned.

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
As I said before, a Carve Region is carved with the carving bit, period - you can't assign another bit to do the job.

What you want to do is create one or a series of vector paths that you can then assign a bit to - as an example, if you select the "line tool", and then draw a line on your virtual board, you can then assign a bit to that line (technically a vector path), tell the machine how deep to carve that line, etc. If you draw two lines side-by-side, you can assign the 1/8" cutting bit to each of them, and you now have a "groove" that's 1/4" wide (assuming that the lines are the appropriate distance apart from one another, and you have them inset properly).

Making more sense?

As MT said, if you haven't downloaded all the Tips and Tricks issues, and done all but commit them to memory, you're going to get frustrated in short order. They are our Bible, and very well done.

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 01:36 PM
One more thing - remember that you're using a round bit - it cannot make a perfectly square hole - if you can figure out how it can, let me know.

alan.galbraith
06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
This is the same problem I am having, see "Cut Path and Bit Selection". Basically, are you saying you want to cut a Dadoe. As an example, you have a 1/2" thick board and you want it to fit in a slot that would be, let's say, 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep by 4" wide. You can't do that with a carve region and and get a squared off edge, the carve bit is tapered. I have a MPC on that post to see if everyone can carve it and get the same measurements. Take a look and see what you think.

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2010, 02:57 PM
I thought I posted this project the other night on another post about slots but can't find it....

I made a handy "Cheat Sheet" in wood to be a quick reference for project design. If I need a slot to be big enough to let a piece of wood slide into it with a friction fit and can get CLOSE the first time with my cheat sheat...

Sure it is carved in pine and changes size with hiumidity..... Could have made it from PVC Board for a more stable substrate. But this gets me close... I use the slots to size the slot I need and just look at the .mpc I posted for the hole or slot that I picked to get the measurements....

Give it a try... I used the 1/2 bit to make this.... It is NOT a CARVE REGION with raster mode, it is Vector Cut.

AL

CarverJerry
06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for that cheat sheet, I can see where it will come in handy.

CJ

www.go3d.us
06-24-2010, 05:18 PM
As I said before, a Carve Region is carved with the carving bit, period - you can't assign another bit to do the job.

Not entirely true. You can use 1/8" bit to do carve region by going into "edit" then "board setting" then click on "pattern bits" tab and pick 1/8" bit from the drop down menu. Your entire project will carve with 1/8" bit. Also make sure to pick 1/8" bit when the machine ask for it.

Router-Jim
06-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Not entirely true. You can use 1/8" bit to do carve region by going into "edit" then "board setting" then click on "pattern bits" tab and pick 1/8" bit from the drop down menu. Your entire project will carve with 1/8" bit. Also make sure to pick 1/8" bit when the machine ask for it.

Yes you are correct. Yesterday someone was asking about dados on a project with no other patterns. I wish I would have remembered the pattern bits option then.

Good idea!

cnsranch
06-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Yes you are correct. Yesterday someone was asking about dados on a project with no other patterns. I wish I would have remembered the pattern bits option then.

Good idea!

Me forgot, too...

I've never changed the bit in the board settings menu - just what effects do you see when using the cutting bit over the carving bit? Does the straight profile help with chip-out? What about carving patterns - I'd assume they wouldn't carve as "smoothly" as with the tapered bit.

Must be a stress issue, or does the machine compensate for that?

Hmm....

alan.galbraith
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I had posted a thread about the Cut Path and Bit Selection. That's where AL had posted that cheat sheet. Thanks again AL. I will try this method also to see how it comes out. Thanks everyone for your contributions. I'm learning.