PDA

View Full Version : Why is the CarveWright machine kept giving me the wrong board meeasurement?

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 09:23 AM
The length of the board is 23" but the CarveWright kept giving me about 18" instead. What's wrong here? How do I fix this? This is frustrating. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Icutone2
06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Did you try using tape "masking" on the under side nearist the control panel?
Lee

unitedcases
06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
You mean the machine is measuring your board at 18" but the board you physically put in is 23"?

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 09:32 AM
You mean the machine is measuring your board at 18" but the board you physically put in is 23"?

Yes. And then the only option the machine allow is to scale and I do not want to scale.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Did you try using tape "masking" on the under side nearist the control panel?
Lee

No. Will you explain this in more detail on how this is done?

dbfletcher
06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Have you tried a different board? Is a 23" board always off by 5 inches? Carefully inspect teh board and make sure it is perfectly flat & straight with no voids. I suspect the tracking roller is losing good contact with the bottom of the board (masking tape helps) and that is why your measurement is short.

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
06-24-2010, 09:37 AM
The length of the board is 23" but the CarveWright kept giving me about 18" instead. What's wrong here? How do I fix this? This is frustrating. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Perhaps this Tips & Tricks article will help you...

ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Have you tried a different board? Is a 23" board always off by 5 inches? Carefully inspect teh board and make sure it is perfectly flat & straight with no voids. I suspect the tracking roller is losing good contact with the bottom of the board (masking tape helps) and that is why your measurement is short.

Doug Fletcher

I double and tripple check the length of the board and it is 23" and even if it's off, it does not make sense it's off by 5". Okay, so I just put a 1" masking tape on the bottom of the board, correct? Do I put the tape on the left side with the brass sensor or the right side of the board?

mabco12
06-24-2010, 10:00 AM
You place it along the keypad side of the board. :-D

mtylerfl
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes. And then the only option the machine allow is to scale and I do not want to scale.

Hello,

This Tips & Tricks article may help you avoid scaling issues...

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

spalted
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
It may also be the board. a warped or twisted board, a chip missing from the edge, a very rounded corner........

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
You place it along the keypad side of the board. :-D

I tried that and now the machine says 16". It is now 7" from 23" of the actual board length. The board is 23"x6.75"x1.5". The machine measures the width fine but length is off by 7" now. I put another board for some of my other project and it seems to measure fine. For some reason, it seems to have problem with this board. The board does not have any imperfections so I'm not sure what's wrong.

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Are you sure the difference between the real board's measurements and what you're getting from the machine isn't 7", not 5?

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 10:41 AM
It may also be the board. a warped or twisted board, a chip missing from the edge, a very rounded corner........

As far as I can tell, the board does not have any warp or twisted. I also used a table saw to cut off both edge so that is perfectlcy rectangle and not round. The board is 1.5" thick so it would be hard to warp.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Are you sure the difference between the real board's measurements and what you're getting from the machine isn't 7", not 5?

Yes. I double even quadruple check.

spalted
06-24-2010, 10:46 AM
A 12" thick timber can easily warp, but thats another subject. As long as everything looks flat and true.

I think cns was hinting at what I was just thinking, 7" is equal to the required min, of 3 1/2" on each end. Is that were your loosing the 7"?

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
itsmeagain -

See if this thread can clear any of this up for you:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14728-problem-with-the-machine-mesuring-board&highlight=measure

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 10:56 AM
A 12" thick timber can easily warp, but thats another subject. As long as everything looks flat and true.

I think cns was hinting at what I was just thinking, 7" is equal to the required min, of 3 1/2" on each end. Is that were your loosing the 7"?

I set the board settings in the CarveWright Designer software to be 23"x6.75x1.5". I put that exact same size board into the machine but when it measures, it's only 16" long. That is when it asked for scaling. I tried another project and it is able to measure it fine but the board settings in the Designer is 7" off but compensate it when using the real board. However, I don't think this is the issue.

Are you saying that since the board setting is 23" long, in the actual board it needs to have 7" longer to compensate for the 3.5" on each side? If that is so, that means I can lower the board settings by 7" long, correct? And if this is correct, how do I make sure the rectangle groove/carve I need the machine to make is exactly 3.5" from the edge of the board?

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Are you sure the measurement is showing 18 when it really is showing 16?

The 7 inch rule of wood... Tips and Tricks... If your board in designer is 23 inches and you install a 23 inch long board in the machine and then select "STAY UNDER ROLLERS" the computer will then subtract 7 inches from the physical board to always keep 3.5 inches on either side of your artwork. This keeps the board under the rollers all the time and will not tip up when only being held by 1 roller.

Your out feed tables may not be adjusted level and when measuring the board and it comes out from under one roller, it looses contact for 2 inches because the nose of the board is up in the air. Like riding a bicycle with ONE HAND.... sometimes it works... sometimes you end up flat on your face....

Tape goes under board so the brass roller has something to bite into.... Like a Rack and pinion.

AL

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I set the board settings in the CarveWright Designer software to be 23"x6.75x1.5". I put that exact same size board into the machine but when it measures, it's only 16" long. That is when it asked for scaling. I tried another project and it is able to measure it fine but the board settings in the Designer is 7" off but compensate it when using the real board. However, I don't think this is the issue.

Are you saying that since the board setting is 23" long, in the actual board it needs to have 7" longer to compensate for the 3.5" on each side? If that is so, that means I can lower the board settings by 7" long, correct? And if this is correct, how do I make sure the rectangle groove/carve I need the machine to make is exactly 3.5" from the edge of the board?

OK, here's the deal -

The machine is designed to be concerned as to whether the board is going to stay under the rollers while the project is being carved. It asks for specific direction from you when that concern comes up.

If the board you load into the machine is no less than 7" longer than the board you have in Designer, it won't be concerned - it knows that the board will never come out from either of the rollers while carving (the rollers are 3.5" away from the tip of your carving/cutting bit).

Now, if your real board is the same size as Designer's board, the machine will be concerned, because there's the chance that the board will come out from under the rollers during the carve. However, if no part of the carve is within 3.5" of either end of the board, the board will NOT come out from the rollers, regardless of what the machine thinks. So, in this case, the machine will measure, see a potential problem, and then ask you if you want to stay under the rollers. You would tell it "no", because you know that it will stay under the rollers, anyway. If you tell the machine "yes", it will then tell you that you have to scale the project - you do not want to do that - parts of the project will be screwed up.

So, when the machine measures your board, it gives you a measurement of the "carveable" area of the board - the real board, less 7". If that resulting measurement is equal to, or larger than the board's dimensions in Designer, you're ok. If it's less, you get the scaling question.

Now, if the "carveable" area of the board is larger than Designer's board,the machine needs to know where on that board you want the carve to happen - it will ask you if you want to center the project on the board - you'll likely say "yes", and the result will be the carve you designed, centered on the board, with an equal amount of non-carved board on each end.

Whew, I'm out of breath.

Any questions, ask MT http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_13.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

mtylerfl
06-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Itsmeagain, you need to take a little break and read those Tips & Tricks!:wink: Pretty much all your problems/questions thus far, will be addressed in those. There is a bit of "pilot error" going on there! Start with reading these two to begin with...

ISSUE 3 December 2007 – Handy Tips for Everyone! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Dec07.pdf)

ISSUE 4 January 2008 – An Easy Project Tutorial & Article This Month (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf)

Don't get me wrong - we are all very happy to help - but, we are kind of re-hashing what has already been covered in the Tips newsletters and on the forum.

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
MT - I wish you, Al Who, Kenm, Doc, and Jeff would quit procrastinating and write a book......

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 11:54 AM
OK, here's the deal -

The machine is designed to be concerned as to whether the board is going to stay under the rollers while the project is being carved. It asks for specific direction from you when that concern comes up.

If the board you load into the machine is no less than 7" longer than the board you have in Designer, it won't be concerned - it knows that the board will never come out from either of the rollers while carving (the rollers are 3.5" away from the tip of your carving/cutting bit).

Now, if your real board is the same size as Designer's board, the machine will be concerned, because there's the chance that the board will come out from under the rollers during the carve. However, if no part of the carve is within 3.5" of either end of the board, the board will NOT come out from the rollers, regardless of what the machine thinks. So, in this case, the machine will measure, see a potential problem, and then ask you if you want to stay under the rollers. You would tell it "no", because you know that it will stay under the rollers, anyway. If you tell the machine "yes", it will then tell you that you have to scale the project - you do not want to do that - parts of the project will be screwed up.

So, when the machine measures your board, it gives you a measurement of the "carveable" area of the board - the real board, less 7". If that resulting measurement is equal to, or larger than the board's dimensions in Designer, you're ok. If it's less, you get the scaling question.

Now, if the "carveable" area of the board is larger than Designer's board,the machine needs to know where on that board you want the carve to happen - it will ask you if you want to center the project on the board - you'll likely say "yes", and the result will be the carve you designed, centered on the board, with an equal amount of non-carved board on each end.

Whew, I'm out of breath.

Any questions, ask MT http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_13.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Many thanks for all your explanation. That clears some of the mud. I just shrink the Desiginer board settings by 7" and the machine seems to be okay....not complaining.

So much thanks to those who tried to help me out. I'm very new to this CarveWright machine.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Itsmeagain, you need to take a little break and read those Tips & Tricks!:wink: Pretty much all your problems/questions thus far, will be addressed in those. There is a bit of "pilot error" going on there! Start with reading these two to begin with...

ISSUE 3 December 2007 – Handy Tips for Everyone! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Dec07.pdf)

ISSUE 4 January 2008 – An Easy Project Tutorial & Article This Month (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf)

Don't get me wrong - we are all very happy to help - but, we are kind of re-hashing what has already been covered in the Tips newsletters and on the forum.

Many thanks for your and many responders' help thus far. Actually this machine belongs to my brother. He had it for a year but never did have the time to play with it and now he has a project that's due within a week and today is already Thursday. We worked 12 hours a day and spend about 4 hours each night reading manuals/instructions/tips&tricks/and watch online video tutorials on how to get this machien and the software to work. And so yes, we will read all the links in this thread to instructions and tips & tricks. It just that we are pressing on time. I apologized for asking many of the same questions that many has asked before or is easily found some tips and tricks.

Again, thank you so much for all your help.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Are you sure the measurement is showing 18 when it really is showing 16?

The 7 inch rule of wood... Tips and Tricks... If your board in designer is 23 inches and you install a 23 inch long board in the machine and then select "STAY UNDER ROLLERS" the computer will then subtract 7 inches from the physical board to always keep 3.5 inches on either side of your artwork. This keeps the board under the rollers all the time and will not tip up when only being held by 1 roller.

Your out feed tables may not be adjusted level and when measuring the board and it comes out from under one roller, it looses contact for 2 inches because the nose of the board is up in the air. Like riding a bicycle with ONE HAND.... sometimes it works... sometimes you end up flat on your face....

Tape goes under board so the brass roller has something to bite into.... Like a Rack and pinion.

AL

Yes, I new about the 3.5" on each side of the board. However, I thought since my design/carved area does not go over 7" inches on the Designer software, it should work because it's already compensated for it. I didn't realized that I need extra 7" plus the board setting length in the Designer.

Itsmeagain
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
One more thing, the masking tape did help. Prior to using the masking tape, the measurement is 18" instead of 16".

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I wish I had the ability to post common problems with pictures that I post over and over and over and over in a Sticky....

I was finishing up at 2 AM last night and had to check the forum before leaving and posted some stuff... I am addicted....

AL

cnsranch
06-24-2010, 04:11 PM
itsmeagain

No worries - we've all been right where you are - MT and Al Who included.

If you're really pressed, post your mpc, I'll bet someone can take a look, fix what may need to be fixed, and re-post it with step by step instructions for you to follow to get it carved right.

jlovchik
06-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I wish I had the ability to post common problems with pictures that I post over and over and over and over in a Sticky....

I was finishing up at 2 AM last night and had to check the forum before leaving and posted some stuff... I am addicted....

AL

Be sure to check out the new features of the forum including your personal profile page complete with gallery and blog. If you want to consolidate your answers to common problems you can absolutely do so effectively with the new features of the forum. We will be making announcements about the new forum features as soon as we finish the updates, but in the meantime, explore around and discover the new features and tools. We think they will make this community even better.
Thanks,
Joe Lovchik

Kenm810
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Joe, Sounds Really Good -- "they will make this community even better"

CarverJerry
06-24-2010, 04:47 PM
I sure hope "itsmeagain" has this figured out. It was starting to confuse me just reading this thread. Welcome itsmeagain to our extended family, as you can see everyone is here to help each other and these guys will go out of their way to help out. A great "Thank you" to all you guys for the help given to me and all the others. Great job.

CarverJerry

dbfletcher
06-24-2010, 04:50 PM
I sure hope "itsmeagain" has this figured out. It was starting to confuse me just reading this thread. Welcome itsmeagain to our extended family, as you can see everyone is here to help each other and these guys will go out of their way to help out. A great "Thank you" to all you guys for the help given to me and all the others. Great job.

CarverJerry

Just 7 more posts and you go from "Junior Member" to "Member". Congrats Jerry.

cnsranch
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
It was starting to confuse me just reading this thread.

Then my work here is done!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)