PDA

View Full Version : What is the new board tracker on the "C"

wgrigsby
06-24-2010, 07:18 AM
What is the new board tracker on the "C" ? I'm wondering if it could be installed on older machines? I bought one several years and feel the board tracker is one of the problem areas that needed to be addressed and hope this inprovement on the "C" can also be a upgrade for the older machines like mine.

AskBud
06-24-2010, 07:22 AM
What is the new board tracker on the "C" ? I'm wondering if it could be installed on older machines? I bought one several years and feel the board tracker is one of the problem areas that needed to be addressed and hope this inprovement on the "C" can also be a upgrade for the older machines like mine.
From the LHR post:
Modified Board Tracking Sensor – The geometry of the wheel and the properties of the o-ring have been changed to improve the tracking ability of the sensor that follows along the bottom of the board. Software enhancements also improve the positional accuracy of the sensor. There is also a much simpler user calibration routine which allows the user to account for slight changes in the machine over time and variance in the color of the material you are using. THE MODIFIED BOARD TRACKING SENSOR IS AVAILABLE AS A STANDARD REPLACEMENT PART, BUT NOT NECESSARY IF YOUR MACHINE IS RUNNING CORRECTLY

Here is a link to the entire post:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15606-new-Carvewright-Version-C&p=132926#post132926
AskBud

mtylerfl
06-24-2010, 09:24 AM

I have not had tracking problems on either of my machines. However, I installed the new brass roller sensor on my 'test' machine (about a year and a half ago) when asked by LHR. It looks about the same, but the "teeth" and roller are smaller than the original. See photo below...

If you are not having tracking issues - you don't need to get the new one. If you ARE having tracking problems, be sure it is not YOUR fault or simply a head pressure issue (easily corrected), before considering replacing the existing sensor. I can tell you that (so far) every person I have spoken to personally about tracking problems, it has been either pilot error (bad board, slick board, bad sled and/or ends taped on, skewed board placement, O-ring slipped off when placing board, etc.) or head pressure issues. So why the new version? My wild guess is that the new (smaller) version does help the roller maintain better contact with the underside of the board.

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Masking Tape on the board where the brass roller touches the board will give the brass roller something to bit into. Making a Rack and Pinion.

AL

eelamb
06-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Hmmm sounds like warm weather is here, dryer wood, and tracking problems. yes masking tape, have to drive the stock up, to keep Al happy.

CarverJerry
06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Was the old brass roller intended to use 2 o-rings or the option to put it in either groove? Just what does that o-ring do if the teeth is what drives the reader? Hope that is to much of a stupid question.

CJ

Router-Jim
06-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm quite sure it is the O-ring that maintains contact (to determine location etc.) while the sandpaper belts actually drive the board.

CarverJerry
06-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Ok, I was under the impression that the teeth in the roller did that as you can see it when using masking tape.

CJ

earlyrider
06-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Is that a steel plate where the cutting bit touches down on the tracker body? No more drilled holes!
Ron

dbfletcher
06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I wouldnt call it a "plate"..... but there was a post 4-5 months ago where someone found that at the bottom of there machine. At the time, I had just bought my second one and I saw it was there. It is more like a metal "clip". I had asked if LHR was shipping them like that or if the user I bought it from had added it. Nobody gave me an answer.. but after MT pics, I am certain the LHR has added that. It definately helps stop the drill thrus when the bit doesnt get completely stopped by the time it reaches the keypad side on touchdown.