PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if this L2 coil has wiggled loose?

RobbMiller
06-23-2010, 05:23 PM
How can I tell if this L2 coil has wiggled loose?
It looks good to me

http://home.comcast.net/~fluxbucket/l2.jpg

At $125 for a new board (or even to get it repaired), I think I want to be sure first.

Thanks,
Robb

spalted
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Do a search for the L2 here on the forums.

I think Digitalworkshop posted a few photos of the common failure spot.

AskBud
06-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Do a search for the L2 here on the forums.

I think Digitalworkshop posted a few photos of the common failure spot.
See post # 10 in this link:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15480-Machine-for-Sale-400&p=131102#post131102
AskBud

RobbMiller
06-23-2010, 09:59 PM
My copper coil does not move so I can see that soldier point. There is some kind of white goop preventing me from exposing it (see pic).

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Well here is the trick.......

If the coil wire is broken inside the board as my coil was..... Right where it was bent over on the bottom of the board.... So it broke between the bottom bend and where the wire came out the top of the board in a area where you could NOT SEE IT.... I could push my coil down and see the wire come OUT of the hole slightly as it SNAPPED below the surface of the board....

So when the coil wire is broken it acts like a blown fuse and turns OFF the power to the computer. The coil is designed as a CHOKE and it has a purpose of cleaning up the DC output power. The windings of the coil use magnetic fields created by the noise or AC or Alternating Current riding on the DC or Direct Current Power. The magnetic fields interact with each other eliminating by equal and opposite effect.....

SO it has a purpose of cleaning up the power.... You CAN short the bottom 2 wires and reassemble the power supply and do a "QUICK TEST" to see if it REALLY IS BAD..... Only a QUICK TEST Please.... Don't run the machine with the coil shorted as the computer may do strange things due to the dirty power....

If the coil IS Broken, heating up the bottom wire with a soldering iron will cause the broken wire to flop around..... and fall off....

It takes a experienced person with a Soldering Iron to NOT DESTROY the solder pads on the bottom.... USE CAUTION.... and solder flux....

AL 2:25 AM.... A Quick Check of the forum before knocking off.... Fire Tag Orders.... :)