PDA

View Full Version : Rustic Style Table, Opinions and Critique Needed Please.

spalted
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm working on a end table the mountain lion and elk scene is carving in the machine right now.

My intention was to carve the scene in Cherry and inlay it into the pine natural edge slab then pour an acrylic resin over the entire top. The table apron was to be an Adirondack style with twig and birch bark. The legs are going to be some gnarly twisted branches out of my twig bin.

I started making an apron for the table. I used white and yellow birch bark and intended to accent the bark pattern with twig overlays.

The ends of the slab top still need to be sculpted and sanded, but I set it on the apron to see how it would look.

It appears out of proportion or something I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would. It's 2 1/4" thick about 17 1/2" deep and 28" long. The apron is 3 1/2" high. I have been walking past it in the shop for the last hour and I can't put my finger on what is wrong with it, I'm having a designers block I guess. So I figured I would see what you guys thought.

I know it is going to take a little imagination on your part, but if anyone has any suggestions, or opinions I would like to hear your thoughts.

waltmere
06-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Could it be the straight cut on the slab, it doesnt accent the natural edge.

Just a thought..

Walt

spalted
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks Walt,

I normally sculpt and sand those edges back on my slab tables to make it blend more naturally. But I haven't done it yet on this one.

I'm starting to lean toward the slab being to thick maybe?

Kenm810
06-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I know Rustic often means Heavy or Thick Furniture items,
But For the sizes you mentioned the top and Apron look a little to thick and Heavy.
That might be the style you're looking for, --- try squinting one eye to see how it would look a bit thinner.
Either why it's Going to be a Great looking Table. --- Just My thoughts :wink:

Ps. Looks like you read my Mind

spalted
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Ken the image editing king strikes again!.....LOL

I never thought to try tweaking the photo Ken,I like it, I think your right. It's just to bulky for the size of the table. I do a lot of bar tops and big dinning tables with 8/4-10/4 stock, I just grabbed this slab off the pile and never gave it a second thought until I was already started. I'm accustomed to much larger scale pieces I think.

Now........ I have to fine a way to salvage the pieces, back to the drawing board. Actually if I used a drawing board I would have caught this before I started.

Router-Jim
06-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Cool project Spalted.

IMHO I think the apron is overpowering the table top.

spalted
06-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Cool project Spalted.

IMHO I think the apron is overpowering the table top.

Yep Jim I agree, I dumped the whole apron Idea, I'll save it and recycle it for a different table.

I have a Peeled Yellow Birch log with the roots on it. I'm going to make it into a pedestal leg for the slab top.

I attached another mock up photo, this one I sculpted the edges of the top too. The leg still needs a ton of sanding yet, and I need to mortise it into the top, but you can see the general idea.

The inlay has been running in the cw for almost 6 hours now I think should be done soon!

Router-Jim
06-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Aaah, now that has potential! :cool:

CarverJerry
06-23-2010, 06:14 PM
That is really going to be a cool looking end table. And with that inlay it'll be kick a$$....good job

CJ

spalted
06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm fired up about the table now that I dumped the apron idea.

Here is the mt. lion and elk scene right out of the machine. I just put my new z-truck on yesterday after the spindle bearings were bad. This is the best carve quality I have seen out of this machine, better than it ever was new.

This scene will be inlayed into the pine slab top. I'm thinking I will paint some of the scene to highlight some of the focal points, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

b.sumner47
06-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Nice job! I can't wait for the finish,should make the grain jump right out .Watch for bubbles, have a good hair dryer ready Capt Barry

spalted
06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes those bubbles make me a nervous wreck every time I cast or encapsulate something for a project. A torch wielded very carefully can work wonders too. The CO2 helps draw the bubbles to the surface. This one will be done in 2 or possibly 3 separate pour stages.

eelamb
06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Spalted the carving came out great. Cherry makes it stand out even better. Keep us posted on the progress of the table and inlay. I believe it will be a work of art when finished.

spalted
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Here is the inlay in progress.

I put a coat of sanding sealer on the carving, and I'm in the process of fitting the inlay into the top.

waltmere
06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
It's really looking great ...nice work

eelamb
06-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Spalted did you get any sleep last night. Those eyes in your avatar look a little blood shot. Nice work on the table.

gwhiz
06-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

-G

stanv77
06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
very nice job on the table top .. but how did you do the inlay in to the table top it is tobig to get in the cw machine?

spalted
06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
very nice job on the table top .. but how did you do the inlay in to the table top it is tobig to get in the cw machine?

Stan, It was your inlayed cribbage boards that gave me the idea for this project. I still want to make some cribbage boards, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I cut the recess into the pine top with a couple of hand held routers. I outlined the perimeter with a trim router and an 1/8" bit and I hogged the middle out with an 1 1/4" planner style router bit in a 3 1/4 hp porter cable, the depth is 3/4". I had considered making a template with the cw to follow with the hand held router, but I decided with all the small details around the perimeter it would not be much help. I don't have any guide bushing small enough to fit into those details.
I textured the area around the recess by hand, I think I'm going to fine tune the texture some more yet.

I have been busy with other projects in the shop so I have not been working on the table today, but I will keep posting progress photos as I work on it. It's a good incentive to keep working on it with you guys looking over my shoulder....lol

Eddie, I think my eyes are really starting to look like Mr. Bean's. I could use a break, I need to get out of the shop and go fishing or something.

TIMCOSBY
06-25-2010, 08:29 PM
very cool table spalted!

LittleRedWoodshop
06-26-2010, 02:34 AM
That is a great looking piece of "Art" kinda makes me feel guilty that I went fishing tonight. I'll be in the shop tomorrow though ... projects like that encourage me to get back in there, Thanks.

TerryT
06-26-2010, 08:46 AM
That inlay looks great!

jaroot
06-26-2010, 08:55 AM
That is a really inspiring piece of work! Thanks for sharing.:)

b.sumner47
06-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Wonderful work ! I can hardly wait for the finish. Capt Barry