PDA

View Full Version : New Sculpting Program Freebie - Sculptris

robbrigg2
06-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi folks,

I subscribe to the Kim Komando blog (she's a radio talk show host that covers all things digital) once in awhile she has some very useful programs freebies and today was one of them. She plugged a free sculpting program called Sculptris. Now I have never done any modeling and this program seems very easy to learn. The only thing is I don't know if it can be imported directly or if you would have to have a third party program to do that with. Maybe someone with more "know" can tell us. But here it is... get it while you can.

http://www.sculptris.com/index.html

www.go3d.us
06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
It is a great program. It allow you to import and export .obj file and that was it. No height map (relief mapping) output so you will need another software to get the height map.
Overall it's fast and smooth.
Good luck!
HT

Pratyeka
06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Kinda like playing with playdoh. Fun to use as doodling. Probably time consuming to create any detailed subjects like flowers or animals. Will play some more and try to import .obj stuff.

Pratyeka
06-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Found how to save a heightmap: go to OPTIONS and click on SAVE HEIGHT. It only save a .tif image. You can convert it to .png in photoshop or whatever you prefer. Then import into pattern editor.

AskBud
06-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Found how to save a heightmap: go to OPTIONS and click on SAVE HEIGHT. It only save a .tif image. You can convert it to .png in photoshop or whatever you prefer. Then import into pattern editor.
Now the BIG QUESTION! Can you figure out how to begin with a portrait, give it the proper contour (Height/depth), and then bring it in to Design Editor?
AskBud

Pratyeka
06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Now the BIG QUESTION! Can you figure out how to begin with a portrait, give it the proper contour (Height/depth), and then bring it in to Design Editor?
AskBud

You mean from a photograph? I did not see a way to import a JPG and convert it to 3D if that's what you hope for. Still have to do the work by hand I'm afraid. BUT if you can find a .obj model somewhere and it loads correctly, you can easily modify it and then save it as a heightmap, then import it in pattern editor.

www.go3d.us
06-22-2010, 10:21 PM

Nice, how did I missed that one.
Thanks.

Fletcher
06-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Fantastic!

CarverJerry
06-23-2010, 05:42 AM
I downloaded it, played with it a while and it's cool, just gonna have to mess around with it more and see what it can really do. If anyone creates something with it and carves it please post it here so we can all see the results. Thanks

CJ

www.go3d.us
06-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Well the depth output is a bit too high. Even after adjusting the axis.

Pratyeka
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Well the depth output is a bit too high. Even after adjusting the axis.

I noticed that. If you have photoshop, replace the black background with 50% grey, then go to adjustment\curves and make the line very steep to the left. That gives good results.

TIMCOSBY
06-27-2010, 04:31 AM
any body figure out how to undo a stroke?

TIMCOSBY
07-09-2010, 01:39 AM
o.k. all the sudden ctrl z is working for undo.

TIMCOSBY
07-09-2010, 01:52 AM
m&m after radiation of 2012 sun flares

Icutone2
07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Cool program thanks for letting us know a bought it!
Lee

TIMCOSBY
07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
36274its fairly easy to use also. the m&m guy only took about 10 minutes to do while learning what each tool did. still cant get a good height map yet. they are real flat instead of round like the model. tried the curve thing in photopaint but no luck. if anybody comes up with a solution let us know.

Pratyeka
07-10-2010, 05:52 PM
36274its fairly easy to use also. the m&m guy only took about 10 minutes to do while learning what each tool did. still cant get a good height map yet. they are real flat instead of round like the model. tried the curve thing in photopaint but no luck. if anybody comes up with a solution let us know.

Maybe the object needs to be moved nearer to the background before creating the height map. will have to test.

eelamb
07-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Tim how are you getting your object into designer?

TIMCOSBY
07-12-2010, 03:27 AM
when you go to save there is a button for "save height" that will create a greyscale height map then just inport into pattern editor or if you dont have it import straight to designer just like a jpeg.

Pratyeka
07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Maybe the object needs to be moved nearer to the background before creating the height map. will have to test.

Could not find a way to move the object in relation to the background.

TIMCOSBY
07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
yea they need a tool to place a plane either at the back or through the middle of the model. of course they dont need it like we do. have you tried exporting the model to another sw to place a plane?

eelamb
07-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Thought I would download sculptris last night, and while waiting for a bid approval this morning I decided to play with it. This took about 20 minutes, not great but fast modeling.

dbfletcher
07-22-2010, 11:59 AM
It looks really interesting but I havnt played with it yet. What import/export filters come with it?

eelamb
07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
importing is only with obj files that I have found. Even then it has some problems, with maps/the paint part of the programs (crashes). It can export to PNG, and obj.
Problems with importing obj files are meshes, simple mesh loads OK, complicated mesh causes crashes, Any mesh quad or tri will load, more than quad will crash(as it should be). to load your obj, first delete the current object on screen then import using add. if you import using new, again a crash. The program is a push pull program starting with a sphere, or a flat plane. Lots of possibilities, but a little cumbersum to work with, ctrl-z gets used a lot. Guess it is easier when you use it a lot. Learning is quick, I did not read the instructions, just jumped in with both feet.

I used STL importer after converting the file to stl using meshlab.

liquidguitars
07-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I tried it a week ago and it two thumbs up!!

spalted
07-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I have been following you guys and your progress with Sculptris, but was holding off trying it because I have been frustrated with not being able to learn other modeling programs.

But I broke down today and tried it. I think this has some great potential for organic modeling without the steep learning curve or the steep price.

I only played with it a little bit, so I'm not about to share my "master pieces" in public yet, but I really think this may work well for me.

spalted
07-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Damn you guys! Now I'm fooling around with this when I have other things I should be doing.:roll:

Here is my test run, no I have no plans to carve him. I was just seeing what all the tools do.

dbfletcher
07-22-2010, 03:43 PM
lol.. now comes the hard part.. what is scarier.. your avatar or the things you create?:p

spalted
07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
lol.. now comes the hard part.. what is scarier.. your avatar or the things you create?:p

LMAO....... Holy crap I sense a theme developing here! I never even thought about that Doug:lol:

eelamb
07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Was going to ask if that was a self portrait!

spalted
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
It looks like Sculptris got bought up by Zbrush.

It has been downgraded from version 1 to alpha 5, so new developments must be on the horizon.

I can only assume the days of the free download are very limited. You might want to grab it while you still can.

Celticwood
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
This all sounds interesting. How do I download it?

Jerry

jpaluck
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
spalted

yep zbrush grabbing it..figured that was gonna happen..the little I played with it is VERY similar to zbrush..just not $595.00
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=090617

Bill
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
This all sounds interesting. How do I download it?

Celticwood,
Go to zbrush for download http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=090617

and scroll down to where it says
To download Sculptris for Windows, please click here.

gashawk
07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
What type of support program/program that created it, does it take to open sculptris.

gwhiz
07-29-2010, 05:01 PM
You just need to download and install Scuptris using the link that Bill posted....

Tom75
07-31-2010, 09:33 PM
spalted you or some one has to carve that . it is really cool .