PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection prototype

kenrik
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSN89csxcVs

skeeterman
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
that seems to work very well, I would probably get one for each of my machines, when and where are they availiable
steve

toymaker
06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Have you had any problems with the add-on being in the way when the spindle goes to the bit plate during the "precut" sequences?

Jeff_Birt
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I would not suggest trying to mount heavy things to an axis, the mchine's software is not expecting to have to account for it, YMMV. Also, the machine would have to have the top cover removed as shown in the video...

unitedcases
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
How hard is that to make? And is it high enough to miss the bit plate?

Fardoche
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Very interesting

Digitalwoodshop
06-21-2010, 08:06 PM
I like it... Would love to see a video of it doing the bit plate....

AL

Pratyeka
06-22-2010, 05:43 AM
The placement of the vacuum tube will be a factor if you are using a sled. Also if you want to use large router bits like the ogee.

CarverJerry
06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Is there any adjustments on this for the different tools?

TIMCOSBY
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
cool shoe. i would think you could go down in size on the collection pipe to say 1/4" and it still pick up everything and save on weight. can you still carve 14.5" wide with it? guys appearantly it misses the bit plate cause he's carvin away with it.

TIMCOSBY
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM
i would think also with a smaller tube you could attach to flex shaft and keep the cover on.

TIMCOSBY
06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
kenrik did you ever try to carve aluminum? i would think the shoe would keep the metal shavings contained.

CarverJerry
06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
I like the shoe idea, does it in way of the bit plate flag?

kenrik
06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
I like the shoe idea, does it in way of the bit plate flag?

I won't get into a lot of details right now because I'm testing different configurations, But I'll answer a few of the questions. The attachment will have a quick release bracket because you will have to do all pre carve setups first.... then when the machine starts carving you push the stop button, attach the vac. tube ( WILL TAKE ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS CHANGING A BIT ) and continue carving. The final version will fit under the machine cover and will share the same slot as the flex drive for the vac hook-up, so there will be no need to disconnect any safety switches or remove the cover. :p MORE TO COME !!

Caocian
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Nice idea and it looks effective. But ...

I'm still concerned about the weight/stress on the axis drive. Have you done any testing to measure and confirm this isn't a problem?

I don't mean to discredit your idea, but these machines are known to be prone to X and Z axis failures. So I have a hard time justifying the risk for the reward when there are already other, very efficient and effective solutions available.

Digitalwoodshop
06-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Nice idea and it looks effective. But ...

I'm still concerned about the weight/stress on the axis drive. Have you done any testing to measure and confirm this isn't a problem?

I don't mean to discredit your idea, but these machines are known to be prone to X and Z axis failures. So I have a hard time justifying the risk for the reward when there are already other, very efficient and effective solutions available.

As far as the weight, it just rolls along on the Y Axis and does not go up and down with the Z. Yes, long term the weight could be a issue but it would be a but no different than moving a bigger bit.

As far as there are more effective solutions, I would give other systems like I use and the one Bud designed have about a 90% effectivness... I am thinking this rig has more like 99% effectiveness.... GOOD JOB !!!!

I like the way this guy thinks..... would like to see his shop.

AL

kenrik
06-22-2010, 07:44 PM
As far as the weight, it just rolls along on the Y Axis and does not go up and down with the Z. Yes, long term the weight could be a issue but it would be a but no different than moving a bigger bit.

As far as there are more effective solutions, I would give other systems like I use and the one Bud designed have about a 90% effectivness... I am thinking this rig has more like 99% effectiveness.... GOOD JOB !!!!

I like the way this guy thinks..... would like to see his shop.

AL

Thanks for the compliments !!.... greatly appreciated and you are right...as seen in the last sneak peek video The system is very, very effective. I was carving an AZEK PVC product in the video's on the draft mode setting to deliberately create the most amount of static cling, flying debris, and dust as possible. :p

unitedcases
06-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Well I will ask what everyone else is thinking. Are you planning on marketing this awesome contraption and are you just using a normal DC system?

kenrik
06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Well I will ask what everyone else is thinking. Are you planning on marketing this awesome contraption and are you just using a normal DC system?

Thanks for the interest !!. After a years worth of building and testing different prototypes I'm getting very close to the final configuration. The videos shown are of an earlier working model. It has evolved a lot since I shot those video's. When I'm finally satisfied with the results I'm looking for I will be marketing and selling the attachment kits.

TerryT
06-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Kenrik,
Good job! That is a very promising looking addition.

Digitalwoodshop
06-23-2010, 10:37 AM

I sure hope he is.......

TIMCOSBY
06-27-2010, 04:35 AM
if you try a smaller pipe let me know if it works.

DocWheeler
06-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Pretty slick, good craftsmanship.

As others have posted, added weight/resistance to the Y truck is going to cost you in the end one way or the other.
Having it removable eliminates the "bit plate" problem, but adds a little inconvenience to the start process.

All in all, good application of ideas, thanks for sharing.

unitedcases
06-27-2010, 11:00 AM
It is a good idea. But what does the top of it look like and how hard is it to ground?