PDA

View Full Version : Cut Path and Bit Selection

alan.galbraith
06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I want to rout a dado 1/2" wide across the width of the board. How can I select the bit to 1/8" straight. Currently it wants the 1/16" carving bit and creates a tapered edge and it is 1/16" too wide.

cnsranch
06-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi, alan

Any cut path operation will be performed with the carving bit...in order to use the cutting bit, you need to create a vector path - an appropriate number of adjacent lines, side by side to the width you need them, with the cutting bit assigned to each line, at the appropriate depth.

Make sense?

alan.galbraith
06-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I believe I understand. will give it a shot.
Thanks

cnsranch
06-21-2010, 10:23 AM
If you have a 1/2" straight bit, you can draw one line, and assign the 1/2" to it, appropriate depth, etc.

Ends will need to be squared up manually, they'll be rounded.

Jeff_Birt
06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
A 'Cut Path' is a vector line or lines that the 'Cut Out' tool is applied to. The 'Cut Path' uses the 1/8" striaght cutting but. For the 'Cut Out' tool to be available your vector line(s) must either be closed, i.e. form a solid shape with no gaps, or the line(s) must exit the edges of the board.

To cut soemthing like a dado you would draw a line and 'Apply' the bit to the line. So for a dado you would want to apply a straight bit. Please be warned that cutting a dado across the width of the board will likely lead to problems as the pressure rollers will drop into the dado. The way around that would be to use a sled.

cnsranch
06-21-2010, 10:48 AM
That's what I meant... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_18_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Sorry - Carve Regions will use the carving bit, cut paths/vectors can be assigned other bits....

I'm all discombobulated with the new Forum...

alan.galbraith
06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
I did as you all suggested, but every one of the dados came out 1/8" too wide. I used the 1/8" straight bit and that's what it called for. So I'm adjusting the width accordingly. I haven't had any problems with the pressure rollers yet. But thanks for the heads up on that.

AskBud
06-21-2010, 01:04 PM
If you "hand draw" each one, you may have variations. However if you COPY, PASTE, and MOVE; or Mirror the original, they should all be the same.
AskBud

alan.galbraith
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
when you have a 1/2" dadoe and use a 1/8" straight bit, you would think you would have to make 4 passes, 1/4" dadoe would be two passes, but it just doesn't come out that way. At least on mine.

alan.galbraith
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Here's my mpc for the side 1 of the spice rack, side 2 would be a mirror image. I made the board wider so it would eliminate the error message. This board would have to be trimmed at the very edge of the 1/2" dadoe and the 1/4" dadoe on the opposite ends. The sides would have to be trimmed to the very ends of the dadoes. Two holes that are 7/16" from the edge of the dadoes is for the 1/4" dowel rod for the hinging mechanism. The other two holes are for short dowels to stop the door at the appropriate opening.

If someone tries this carve, let me know if the the dadoes come out 1/2" and 1/4" for you.

thanks

Digitalwoodshop
06-22-2010, 08:09 PM
The 1/8 inch too wide. You must take in consideration the outside of the bit on both sides of the cut. The software is thinking the center of the bit is the center of the line.

For Slot Cutting I made and cut this test board in pine. It gives me a quick reference when I need to make a slot using a real world board jig. I must always remember that I cut it in the winter and there was low humidity so the dimension's of the slots will change with board moisture content. Should have made it from PVC Board for stability.

Used the 3/8 inch bit for the overlap slot test cuts.

This is NOT a carve region, this is VECTOR cut lines and depth.

AL

Router-Jim
06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Alan, after looking at your mpc I can tell you how I would approach it.

Being there are no actual carvings I would create the dados by using rectangles set at the actual size that you want, then make the rectangles carving regions.

When starting the projects the machine will ask you to choose the carving bit, choose the 1/8" straight and you will be good to go. :yes:

HTH

Jim

alan.galbraith
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
That's how I orginally started it. With the carve regions and came up with the same result. Maybe it's just my machine.

cnsranch
06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Nope - that's where I confused you in the first place - carve regions are done with the carving bit, not cutting (straight) bit.

AskBud
06-23-2010, 02:48 PM
That's how I orginally started it. With the carve regions and came up with the same result. Maybe it's just my machine.
If you look at the "Wish List" thread, you will see where I have suggested a "Mill" option. This is similar to the "drill" option, using the straight bit. It is possible to do, just not high enough on the LHR To-Do-List.
AskBud

mtylerfl
06-23-2010, 03:04 PM
If you look at the "Wish List" thread, you will see where I have suggested a "Mill" option. This is similar to the "drill" option, using the straight bit. It is possible to do, just not high enough on the LHR To-Do-List.
AskBud

Yes - I 'second that'! An easy way to do pockets using a straight bit would be a very, very welcome feature.

alan.galbraith
06-25-2010, 07:19 AM
I followed Al's idea on the ball nose bit thing. Setting the inset when selecting the bit got me probably within 1/64" for the 1/2" dadoe. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.