PDA

View Full Version : Rounded corners on rect?

shaddy
11-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble making a rectangle with rounded corners, any tips?

Lets say I want a 8x5 plaque with 1.5" radius corners. How would I go about it?

I've been making then in Corel, then importing into CW, then making them Outlined and deleting original and one of the outlines.

Shaddy

Greybeard
11-29-2006, 03:13 PM
That seems to be what I would do. What does it do wrong ?
John

Greybeard
11-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Will this do for starters ? (see the mpc file)

Create your board(I always toggle off the pattern - much easier to see what's going on with the thick lines that Designer uses)
Toggle on the grid lines, in this case to 0.5inches, and the "snap to grid".

Draw the 8x5 rectangle, but draw it as four separate lines, two of 3inches and two of 2inches, in the correct position that leave 1.5inch gaps at each corner(3 squares each side on the grid). Select the arc tool and draw the arc base line across the corners and pull out the centre vertex each time, but don't worry about getting it to the size you want.
If you click on the dimension that is given, a small window opens for you to type in the radius you want(1.5), press "enter".

The rest is yours :D

John

shaddy
11-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Your directions were good, thanks.

THere's nothing wrong with the corel way... except it's quite a few extra steps and it would be nice to do it in CW.

Shaddy

David M.
11-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Here is a sample of how to do it with CW software. Going counter clockwise from the bottom left: first corner - untouched ( oh, the original box drawn with rectangle tool) 2nd corner - Insert Vertexs, by right clicking the mouse on the line where you want the point added -third corner - Removed corner point vertex by right clicking mouse on the vertex you want to go away - forth corner - change line segment to an arc by touching line segment with the mouse right click choose FORM and go to arc. Then adjust it manualy by touching the arced line and adjusting to taste.

Just make sure your vertexes are basicly lined up with each othe to keep the arc size similar.

Greybeard
11-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi David.
Actually my attempt was done in Designer, the CW software - perhaps I should have made it more obvious.
Regards
John

Jeff_Birt
11-30-2006, 01:29 PM
David M. PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Here is a sample of how to do it with CW software. ... ( oh, the original box drawn with rectangle tool) ... Insert Vertexs, by right clicking the mouse on the line where you want the point added ... change line segment to an arc by touching line segment with the mouse right click choose FORM and go to arc. Then adjust it manualy by touching the arced line and adjusting to taste.

Thanks David, this is a great tip! I just recreated a rounded top sign I did last night usign this technique and it took less than a minute to do. Just draw the rectangle, and change the top line segment to and arc, ...very easy!!!!

As I am trying to to learn Designer I find myself trying to do things as I do in AutoCAD, SurfCAM and Inventor (like just adding fillets, construction lines or points, tangents, etc.), sometimes old habits can really interfere with new learning.

usd5000000
03-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for that technique. I was trying to figure out how best to do this.

Jeff