PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" stright cutting bit locked into QC!!

mabco12
06-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi all,
I carved mt first cut path today and the i/1" cutting bit will not come out of the QC which is the original QC. Any recommendations beside getting the rock or new carvetight system would be great. Also any suggestions for cut path depths to make it easier on the bits?? I cut through a 3/4 piece of poplar for a small house sign and now the darn bit won't come out!!!!

cnsranch
06-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Use the bit removal tool - I've found its best use is to prop open the door:rolleyes:

While turning the QC, tap on it with a wooden hammer handle, screwdriver handle, etc. Turn, tap, turn, tap - etc. Try to raise the QC, if it won't, turn, tap, turn, tap, etc.

There's a bit of sawdust packed into the QC, causing the adapter to bind up a tad.

No biggie, once it drops out make sure to put a towel, etc. under it to catch it), keep that sucker clean.

mabco12
06-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I have the QC stuck in the up position but the bit won't come out!! It is like it is fused into the QC????

cnsranch
06-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Turn, tap, turn, tap.......

jaroot
06-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Mine does that fairly frequently. I just put a towel under the QC, spray a little WD around the top of the chuck And then use my fingers to flick the chuck up and down until the bit falls out and then flick it some more. An amazing amount of crap gets stuck up inside.

cnsranch
06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
You can also use compressed air to try and get rid of some of the sawdust - if you get tired of the turn, tap - put a BUNCH of rags/towels everywhere, and spray up in the QC with WD 40 - it'll loosen the sawdust somewhat.

It is sawdust, and it has fouled up the area where the adapter seats - have patience, it's not broken (unless you get impatient, then you can cause some damage).

cnsranch
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
You're fast, jaroot :p

mabco12
06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the quick replies and will take your advice and once again you all rock with giving advice.

Mabco12:-D

jaroot
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
You're fast, jaroot :p

Actually I was in the middle of an extremely boring OSHA online training class and watching the forum while I was doing it.:cool:

mabco12
06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks jaroot!!!!:-D

Digitalwoodshop
06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Remember the sling shot can help too..... Pull the spring loaded outer skin back and let it snap toward the bit. We have not seen may stuck bit postings with many getting the Rock or the CT.

When you get the bit out, check the set screws as if they are not set with lock tite they back out and jam in a QC.

Also if you don't clean the lock tite from the parameter of the head of the Allen screws in the bit holder they will cause a stuck bit too.

Check for BB Marks on the Bit Holder too... If you do have BB Marks you need to replace the QC and all worn bit holders. For that price you should order a rock.

Good Luck,

AL

mabco12
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi al,
I ordered two carvetight sysytems for both of my machines. Now all I have to do is install them!! I may need you help and may need to call you if I run into some trouble. Thanks for your help in the past and your the man!!!

Mabco12:-D

mabco12
06-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi All,
I tried the tap and turn technique and the bit eventually fell out of the QC. Thanks for your help and quick replies so I can once start carving again!!!!!:-D

cnsranch
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Atta boy, mabco!!

Get yourself a lighted mirror that you can use to inspect the QC - don't let any sawdust build up in there, especially where the set screws on the adapters go - also use a brass brush to scrub clean the adapters each time you use them - if you think about it, if there's a little bit of smutch on one of the screws, it won't allow the bit to seat perfectly (not badly enough to hurt anything) but it will allow for room for the dreaded sawdust - the longer the carve, the more dust will get packed in there. So, cleanliness is next to happiness (I sort of just made that up).