PDA

View Full Version : Swords

CHRISTIAN
06-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I have now scanned my first sword and carved it. It turned out pretty good for the first time. My next question is: As the carving was being completed it took a small layer off the top of my board which will create additional sanding to make smooth again. Is there a way to not take that layer off? Maybe make the rails of the carving sled a little higher?

christian

AskBud
06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I have now scanned my first sword and carved it. It turned out pretty good for the first time. My next question is: As the carving was being completed it took a small layer off the top of my board which will create additional sanding to make smooth again. Is there a way to not take that layer off? Maybe make the rails of the carving sled a little higher?

christian
It sounds as if you allowed your Probe tip to touch the sled, rather than using a shim to set the depth a little less.

If the above is true, you need to EDIT your pattern to eliminate the rectangle.
Once edited you just re-save the pattern.

Yes, you could us a higher rail, as you ask, if the bit does its "touch" on the rail. However, the above edit will eliminate the problem for successive carves that you do with this pattern.
AskBud

CHRISTIAN
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I set my depth at 3/8" with a shim for scanning, the probe hits the pattern pretty hard all the way across would that be causing the problem???

christian

AskBud
06-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I set my depth at 3/8" with a shim for scanning, the probe hits the pattern pretty hard all the way across would that be causing the problem???

christian
PM me your phone number as I did not keep it.
AskBud

CHRISTIAN
06-16-2010, 04:52 PM
i figured out the problem: the piece that I put at the end of the sled was a fraction lower than the rails after putting a small shim where the bit finds the surface it worked fine. thanks for the help.

Am looking forward to sending pictures of progress; watch for them!!!

christian