PDA

View Full Version : Latest sign ...

Ron Smith
11-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Over the holidays, a cousin asked if I would make a sign for her husband for christmas. She said he's been wanting one, but they've never gotten around to getting one made. Nothing fancy, cut out of Red Oak, lettering and design on both sides to be seen from the road. This is hot off the machine and I have to put a finish on it and eyelets to hang it. I plan on painting the letters black, the leaves a light green and finish the balance natural oak with several coats of polyurethane. I'll post back when it's completed. Thanks for looking.

Randy in Minn
11-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Nice work. I am not sure how fussy you are on the lettering but you might want to experiment with some letters on scrap oak first. I found oak sucks paint into the wood capillaries and gives your letters a fuzzy look up close. From a road it would not matter. SO, what I have done is spray the poard first with a med/heavy (not soaked though) coat of poly and then paint the letters. The first coat helps keep the pain form moving sideways in the letters. Just somethign for you to try.

Dan-Woodman
11-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Ron
nice sign , however red oak is not very durable for outside.
and regular polyurathane is an interior finish.
since you have already used red oak , I would at least go with a Marine finish.
Keep the sawdust flying Later Daniel

lgregor
01-10-2007, 06:42 PM
He is correct in the normal poly is an indoor finish HOWEVER MinWax sells an exterior clear poly that is designed to resist the UV bleaching problems and weathering that normal poly is doomed to. I use it on solid red oak Idirondack (sp) chairs sitting outside all the time. Just an FYI.

Digitalwoodshop
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
lgregor, Thank You for that tip.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
lgregor, Thank You for that tip.

AL

Ron Smith
01-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Ron
nice sign , however red oak is not very durable for outside.
and regular polyurathane is an interior finish.
since you have already used red oak , I would at least go with a Marine finish.
Keep the sawdust flying Later Daniel

Yep ... I agree ... Marine Spar Varnish is what I actually meant to note in the original post instead of polyurethane. It came out well and is swinging in the wind as we speak. Thanks for looking.

Ron