PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother problem

Don Butler
06-15-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm starting a new job with a 43" board. It's dead flat. It's not tipping.
But when it starts to measure the board and gets to the left end it stops (as it usually does) goes back and forth a little and then stops and the screen says, "Check tracking roller"
If I select to proceed the drive motor runs but the board doesn't move.
If I give the board a push it goes back, but then I worry that the measurement is off.
Anybody have experience with this error?

db

cnsranch
06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi, Don -

I know you said that board isn't tipping, but I've had this problem before...

I believe the board's heavy enough that it's tipping, just enough that it's getting caught on the edge of the roller - try to re-measure, and hold the outer end of the board up just a tad, and see if it doesn't get stopped.

I really think you either need to adjust the outfeed rollers, and/or give the board some additional support.

I know you're not a rookie, and this is a "rookie answer", but it's the best I've got.

Don Butler
06-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Well, I emailed Michael and he told me to look for the toothmarks from the tracking roller.
When I did I discovered that there was a shallow crease in the workpiece right there at the end where the error occurred.
Now I know something else!:rolleyes:

d

cnsranch
06-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Aha! Another great reason to use a strip of masking tape - it really shows those little indentations.

You're welcome AW (happens every time I mention Masking tape :D

CarverJerry
06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Sometimes just flipping the board over will help if that side is carvable. Otherwise like CNS said.......masking tape on the roller side.

CJ

www.go3d.us
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Carving on a long board tend to make the sanding belt rolled up. So check the sanding belt after the carve. That is what happened to me.
HT

Don Butler
06-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm using outboard roller supports.
I hope that will prevent any problem with the belts.

db

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2010, 07:23 PM
The head might not be level....

You can check with a wide board in the machine. Z Data, touch the board left and then right look at the numbers.

AL