PDA

View Full Version : sears reviews

serbert
11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
What is your anyone take on the recent reviews that appears on the Sears Wed page. I am waiting on my machine and was questioning some of the responsives. :lol:

David M.
11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a disgruntaled ex-machine owner (I can almost guess who it was) that has a bone to pick, any rant like that is any attempt to scare off customers. The machine speaks for itself however let them rant. I own a machine and have had minor problems but nothing too major, mostly operater error. If there is actual trouble the staff at CW are their as long as needed to fix the issue.

The CW does just what it was designed to do and does it very well. It is NOT an industrial machine to base an entire business around but it is a wonderful add on tool for any shop. It is amazingly versital and the edge routing, cutting and other side features so far have worked flawlessly for me. Slowly at times, but flawlessly. You will be happy with your purchase.

This machine was designed for the above average wood worker and is as capable as the person programing the machine, so the more you learn and experiment the more you will be able to combine features and excel.

Jimmygee
12-04-2006, 08:04 AM
I agree that the unit is good. But I can not agree that the edge routing is flawless. As a motter of fact mine really is terrible at edge routing. Routs all 4 sides at different depths and widths. Also my carving and cutting bits come lose from the adaptors and fall out during carving. Not sure why. Have been waiting to hear from Chris for a while now.

Jimmygee
12-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Can you tell me where to find the review? I've been on the Sears web and could not find it. I would like to read it.
Many thanks

David M.
12-04-2006, 09:33 AM
The bits coming loose can be fixed by using Loctite on the screws on the bit holder, I'm sure that is your issue with edge routing being un even. My system is nothing but accurate on those types of cuts.

Here is the rewiews at the Sears web:

www.sears.com - look under desktop tools and find the machine on the list and look at the reviews tab, there are 3 reviews total.

Greybeard
12-04-2006, 10:59 AM
David - your link has a comma at the end. If you delete it, then it works ok.
Thanks for the link, it makes interesting reading, and I think your right with your comment in the first post.
John

David M.
12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
All of the machines on the market to date are Beta test machines, so to give a honest review this must be taken into account. Almost none of the general public knows this looking at the reviews at the Sears website, so it's kind of unfair. Knowing you've bought a beta test machine you must take the problems a par for the coarse, that's the purpose of the program, to find the bugs and issues. I've had a couple myself but nothing that the CW crew didn't bend over backwords to fix.
This machine just like any other new product will be an evolution, but this is certinly a great starting point.

Jimmygee
12-05-2006, 10:24 AM
My router bits are not lose in the adapter, they are tight so I do not believe that is the problem with the CW being terrible with edge routing. In one of the forums I asked about this and had severel replies that it does the same on their units. One person said his was so bad he bought a new router and uses it for all routing. Any other idea's?
Thanks

mikevds
12-05-2006, 11:02 AM
All of the machines on the market to date are Beta test machines, so to give a honest review this must be taken into account. Almost none of the general public knows this looking at the reviews at the Sears website, so it's kind of unfair. Knowing you've bought a beta test machine you must take the problems a par for the coarse, that's the purpose of the program, to find the bugs and issues. I've had a couple myself but nothing that the CW crew didn't bend over backwords to fix.
This machine just like any other new product will be an evolution, but this is certinly a great starting point.

I'm really anxious to see a review of the real production models, either Sears or CWs. Reliability is a major factor in a machine this complex.

David M.
12-05-2006, 11:35 AM
There were 200 machines in the beta test group, my machine was # 160-175 range. Many of the major issues had been addressed by the time my machine shipped, so I believe that is why I have had pretty good luck so far. I would expect that the reviews from the Sears buyers should follow pretty closely to what you see in the forum here. However in the forum you will find by far more experienced operators, and I would tend to trust that point of view more because there is a pretty good learning curve on the software and the machine. You can't put a couple hours into this and get a true feel for it's abilities, the more I use it the more I find for it to do.

ditchdoc
12-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I bought my machine after seeing it at a woodworking show in Kansas City and purchased it shortly thereafter. I don't know if mine was one of the beta test machines or not. I bought it after the first of this year.

I have to say that I have very few complaints with my machine. Any that I have had, have been resolved with the very timely, and generously given, support from the folks at Carvewright. I haven't had, nor do I want, support from Sears. I didn't buy my machine from them.

The machine has done all I have asked of it and I agree it is not for production type work. It does what it was designed for--very well. This forum has been very useful and I have learned quite a bit from it. I hope it continues.

David M.
12-05-2006, 01:20 PM
The Beta test machines were all the machines up to the national release throught Sears. Anything bought through Sears will be the 1st generation after the initial 200, which I'm sure you are one of the Beta test machines if you bought it in the last year. The people who purchase through Sears now will have to deal with Sears for support, only the Beta test group should still have access to the CW people. That's what I was told.