PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Probe acts like a dart

azmiked
06-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Just had a crazy thing happen to me. The scanning probe would pierce my sled and bend the tip. This is only the second time using this probe and it worked fine last time. Everytime I reset the scan area it would do the same thing. I tried adjusting the depth and the offset with no change. I found that my machine will take both the jumper wire and Z truck plug. I was using the jumper when all this happened. Using the key pad I switched to the Z-truck setting and all is fine. I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem and saves them the 2 hours it took me.

JMD
06-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I also have a problem with the probe. I am using the Rock Chuck, when starting a scan, the machine goes to home. Trouble is the "Z" axis will not go up enough to clear the sides on my sled. Doesn't mater how high the sides are.:confused:

Icutone2
06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Are you chucking the Probe all the way up into the chuck?
Lee

JMD
06-14-2010, 09:21 AM
I have it up in the chuck as far as it will go. I make sure that it is up to the shoulder and the collect is also in all the way.

DocWheeler
06-14-2010, 09:26 AM
azmiked,

I am guessing, but I'd bet that you have the 1/2" Rock rather than the 1/4" Rock.

I really like Ron's Rock but thought that it would have this problem with the thick ring at the end of the adapter. That's why I ordered both the 1/2" and 1'4" Rocks.

JMD
06-14-2010, 09:32 AM
You are wright. I have the 1/2" rock. I can work around the problem by not putting the probe in until is goes through the homing process. Thanks for the help. :)

RMarkey
06-14-2010, 09:58 AM
If the scanning probe "pierces" the sled, it didn't detect the probe touch. Make sure you test the probe in the 0-7 sensor check panel on the machine.

eromran
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
You are wright. I have the 1/2" rock. I can work around the problem by not putting the probe in until is goes through the homing process. Thanks for the help. :)On the key pad side notch the top of the rail just enough where probe can pass through but still thin enough that when roller goes over it it wont relieve the pressure (maybe 1/4 inch long and 1/2 inch deep or what ever it takes for probe to clear) be sure to line up notch with probe tip before it homes you can slide sled and manually move probe before you crank down head all the way yo line it up. I do this all the time when I'm scanning thick objects. Hope this helps.